Chapter 7

Carlos P.O.V

As I'm reading a book I look and see Evie is half sleep.

"You're cute when you're sleepy." My eyes grow wide as I realize what I just said out loud. "What did you say Carlos" I hear Evie say with the sleep in her voice. "Ok Evie, let's get some of this work done" I say while trying to change the conversation and walking over to her desk.

Evie slowly gets up and sits in the chair next to me at her desk. She bangs her head down on the desk which makes me laugh. She whines saying "I don't wanna." "Oh stop whining" I said patting her back.

She sits up and opens her books.

Clearly still sleepy, I grab Mal's bucket and take it to the bathroom to fill it up with ice cold water. When I come out the bathroom I see that Evie went back in her bed asleep.

I quietly walk up to her and dump the water right in her face.

She sits up really quickly and looks at me angrily. " CARLOS, you messed up my designer pajamas and my sweet bed" she says getting up. I can't help but laugh at how whiny she is today. "Just go change so we can get started on your homework" I say in between laughs.

Evie walks in the bathroom with a hair dryer and some clothes.

Suddenly my phone starts to ring and I see Jane is calling me.

C- Hello

J- Carlos, sweetie, where are you. You're not at school today and you love to learn.

C- Evie is sick

J- Oh the poor thing. I still don't see how that has to deal with you.

C- I'm taking care of her

J- Carlos you're so sweet, but Evie is a big girl. She can handle herself

C- I just want to make sure she's feeling well.

J- You never take care of me when I'm sick. Should I be worried

C- No why would you be worried?

J- Well Evie doesn't seem to like me. What if she says something to break us up.

C- Jane don't worry. Evie would never do that. Stop being jealous.

J- Well maybe you should spend a little more time with your girlfriend than wasting your time with a blue princess who cares nothing for you.

C- What so now she cares nothing for me? She's done more for me than you ever have and ever will.

And with those final words, Jane hangs the phone up on me. Not exactly the conversation I was expecting to have. Jane has nothing to be jealous about.

"I'm ready"

I turn and see Evie has straightened her hair and is wearing a white shirt that says "princess blueberry" which I'm guessing she got from the nickname Mal gave her. She also has on a blue skater skirt with some blue flats. So simple, but so gorgeous.

"You look...nice" I said. I wanted to say beautiful but I thought it be best if I didn't. I saw Evie's face fall as she said "oh...thanks."

Maybe I should've said beautiful. I think I made her feel bad. We both took a seat at her desk to start working on her assignments.

Time was going past and finally we were on math.

"Ok Evie for the 10th time, what's the algebraic equation" I asked her. "I don't know" she responded with frustration. Ok Carlos, show her what to do. I take the pencil and write an example. "So Evie the equation is x+1=4, what kind of equation is this?" She stares at the equation and says "a linear equation"

"Correct" I say giving her a thumbs up.

Evie smiles as she goes to take the pencil from my hand. For a second our hands touch and I catch her staring at me. Caught in the moment we just stare into each others eyes until we hear somebody come in.

"Yo blueberry I'm here with Ben" we hear Mal say. I stand up quickly and scratch my head. "Oh hi Mal. Hi Ben. I was just leaving." I grab my bookbag and pick up Dude and leave the room.

"What was I thinking" I say to myself as I was walking back to my room.