Black Eyes - A Torchwood Fanfic

Chapter One

Year: 2022

I was walking down the street with my boyfriend Richard. We were going shopping for food. I am twenty two years old, life is good, I have a boyfriend, a flat with a view, everything I could have asked for in life.

"Are we almost done?" Richard asked. He always hated going shopping. I looked at him, he had brown hair and blue eyes. His face had no marks or freckles and he had a small nose. He was gorgeous. Me on the other hand, I had short red hair, it stopped just below my ears. I had green eyes and freckles on my cheeks. Apparently I had a really pretty smile, but I didn't really believe that.

"Almost, then we can go get lunch, okay?" I answered, laughing at him a little, he pouted at me and I laughed a little harder. He was taking me on a date for lunch, I had no idea where we were going, I hated it. Richard wrapped an arm around my waist as we walked into the grocery store. I bought what I needed from there and I put it in the car. Richard dropped us off at our flat. We walked up four flights of stairs carrying the heavy bags. I opened the flat door and we put the stuff away.

I stopped for a second and listened, I could hear banging coming from the end of the hall, like things smashing. It had been going on for a few days now, but I don't think Richard could hear it. There was never any yelling, just smashing. I looked over and from the look on Richard's face, I could tell that he could hear it too.

"What do you think it is?" I asked, I was very curious about what it was, it was one of my flaws. I was a chaplin at the local high school. Which means I am someone the students can talk to about problems that they are having. So I was always curious about stuff. Richard shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know, probably just someone having a domestic with a loved one. Best not get involved" He said, I nodded. Richard worked as a mechanic, so he was very strong and muscular. I loved looking at his body. I was so surprised when he asked me out, I never thought he old go for someone like me. I was so bossy and I had realy good leadership skills, but I never had many friends for one reason: I always wanted to be leader an I always acted like a leader.

I followed Richard out of the flat, the banging growing louder. We ignored it and went down the steps towards the car. We got in and Richard drove us to a restaurant. A very fancy one too. I turned to him.

"This place has got to be really expensive Richard. Are you sure you can afford it?" I asked, we didn't have that much money, maybe enough to pay for this, I don't know.

"It will be fine Charlie. I have enough money for this, I made sure. Okay babe" He said, smiling at me. Yeah, my name is Charlie, I sound like a guy now don't I, with that kind of name. But no, I am a girl.

I followed Richard into the restaurant, a waiter came up and seated us before taking our drink orders. Richard and I began to talk while we waited for our drinks to come. The waiter came back and gave us our drinks and took our food orders. While we waited for our food to cook, Richard and I began to talk about random stuff.

"Hey, Charlie, do you think ghosts exist?" He asked, I laughed at how random the question was, Richard was always like that. I nodded at him.

"Yeah, I think they do, I swear I was haunted when I was thirteen" I said, he raised an eyebrow at me, Richard didn't believe in ghosts. "There was this thing in my house that kept on opening our doors and our fidge and freezer. I would also occasionally pick up things. It wa really weird, caused us o move away" I explained to him, but it didn't look like he believed me. Yeah, I was stupid enough to play with a Ouija board when I was thirteen.

"What about the afterlife?" Richard asked. I didn't know about that one.

"Not sure" I answered. I looked at him, he always asked me these kind of questions, I think he likes hearing other people's opinions on things.

"Aliens?" He said. Now those I did believe in, I just hoped I was right. No aliens had ever come to Earth, unless you count those ones that the Americans said they found in the 60's. But I don't really believe those  stories. I believe that aliens think we are just too stupid to visit, if they did visit, we would probably kill them. The human race is just that dumb.

"Yeah, I believe in aliens" I replied, just as the waiter came back with the food. He gave me a weird look, like I was crazy. I thanked him as he set my food in front of me. I began to eat my huge meal.

"I don't" I heard Richard mutter. No of course you don't Richard. I smiled a little.

When we finished, Richard payed the expensive bill and drove us back home. As we walked back to the flat, I could still hear the banging from the other flat.

"It's been nearly two hours and I have the feeling that banging has been going on for longer than that" I said to Richard. I nodded at him and told that I had been hearing he noises for days now. I was so curious about what was going on. 

"I have no idea what is going on, but if they keep it up, I am going to talk to them about it!" Richard cried angrily. I put my hand on his back to calm  him down as we walked into the flat. Now I was truly curious about what was going on in that flat.

Richard sat down on the couch as I began t clean the kitchen. We had had a very fiddly dinner last night and the kitchen was still a mess. I always like things to clean in this flat. Richard turned on the T.V and watched that while  cleaned. Lazy bum, never liked to clean.

                                                                                  *  *  *

It took me nearly an hour to clean the whole kitchen and the banging noise was still going. Richard was beginning to get very angry. He had such a short temper. Suddenly he stood up from the couch.

"Alright, that's it! I'm going over there!" He yelled before walking out the door. I followed him to the flat at he end of the hall. I actually thought no one lived in this flat. They were so quiet until today. Richard bashed on the door, but no one answered. Richard bashed on he door again and I bit my lip, who ever opened the door was going to have to face his wrath and that was never a pretty sight.

When no one opened the door, Richard reached down and grabbed the doorknob.

"Richard" I warned, he shouldn't, this was someone else's home. Richard ignored me and twisted the doorknob. Surprisingly, it was unlocked. Richard pushed the door open.

I looked in, things were smashed all over the floor. I saw something get lifted up from the floor. No one was holding it. I followed it with my eyes. In the middle of the flat was this thing. I don't know what it was, but it was black and in the rough shape of a person. It was huge and pulling things into it. It moved like when you touch jelly, it wobbles a little, but mostly stays still. I stared at it, trying to turn and leave the flat, but I felt something wrap around my leg. I looked down, nothing was there, but I could feel something tightening. I turned to Richard.

"Richard, something is holding my leg" I said, my voice small. I was terrified. I tried to get out of the flat, but couldn't move.

"I can't move" I heard Richard mumble. Oh God, this thing hd both of us. I watched as a couple of plates flew towards the thing and disappeared inside of it. Was that going to happen to us? I suddenly felt something yank on my leg and I fell, hitting my back on he floor. I was bing dragged towards this thing. I screamed and reached for Richard, but realised that he was being dragged too. I stil couldn't see anything holding our legs.

I felt tears run down my face as I got closer to the thing. I let out one last scream before everything went black.