Black Eyes {20}

Chapter Twenty

Year: 2596

A year. A whole goddamn year I have spent trying to get Richard back and it still isn't working. Jack says that I should give up, but I tell him I can't and that he will come back to me eventually. Some times Ianto tells me that love can blind us from things that need to be done.

I don't believe them. Actually to put it better, I don't want to believe them.

But I do anyway.

Richard was fired after he shot that first time, but because of that, everything was so much worse, and it still is. I left the house six months ago, but Richard comes over alot, mainly just to bash me and kill me and throw me against the walls.

"Charlie, there's blood on your face" Ianto says as I walk into the hub. Richard had bashed my head in this morning and I can feel the blood drying on my face.

I quickly go and clean up, not acknowledging Ianto as he walks in.

"Are you alright?" He asks.

"Fine" I mutter.

"Something has come in. Jack needs you to look at it. Some kind of disintergrater gun that leaves absolutely nothing behind. It doesn't sound very nice" I can tell that Ianto is just trying to make conversation with me, trying to make everything just a little bit better.

I just nod at him and go to my work station. The gun sits there already. It's small and black and sits in a police evidence bag.

As I work on the paperwork for the gun, something clicks in my brain. Maybe Ianto was right, maybe I am blinded by love, maybe I need to do what's right. Oh God.

I grab the paperwork and the gun and make my way up to Jack's office.

* * *

"Here, you need to sign this stuff" I say, handing Jack the paperwork. I think he sees it in my bag because he gives me the saddest look I have ever seen. He gives me a questioning look and I only nod.

"Go home Charlie, you look tired" He says and I walk out of his office and toward Ianto. He looks at my questioningly as I stop in front of him.

"Ianto, you were right" I say, wrapping my arms around him. "Thank you" He heugs me back for a second before letting go and smiling at me, I think he's caught on. He turns back to the coffee he was making and I walk out of the hub.

* * *

I'm at home, not the place I was staying in the past six months, no, the place I lived with Richard, that's home.

I don't even knock on the door, I just push it open. Richard stands there, his eyes completely black. He just stares at me, not moving, not speaking, not seeing.

But then his eyes flash and he is snarling at me. He stalks towards me and throws me into the lounge room of the flat. I hit the wall and fall in a heap on the floor.

I scamble to my feet as quickly as I can and push Richard against the wall. There are times I have tried to fight back or just keep him away with my telekenisis, but it never works. it seems that now that the creature has control of him, he is much stonger than I ever was.

"I thought I told you that it was pointless to fight back Charlie" Richard snarls. I push harder, trying to keep him there. My other hand fishes around in my bag for what feels like forever until my fingers wrap around small gun.

I pull it out and Richard laughs at me. "Like that's going to do anything. I'll just come back!" He continues to laugh and I feel tears begin to run down my face.

"I highly doubt that" I say as calm as I can. "This is a disintegrater gun. When it fires it leaves absolutely nothing nothing behind" I see Richard gulp from the other side of the room. "Scared now?"

My hands begin to shake as I hold the gun out in front of me and point it at Richard. I don't know if I can do this. The tears fall freely down my face. Can I do this? I don't want to. I have to. Why? Why do I have to do this? I don't even have an answer for that question.

But I do. If I don't, Richard will continue to hurt me without being able to control himself. If I do, it will stop both mine and Richard's suffering. I have to do it.

But my body doesn't listen to my mind, my arm begins to go down and my grip on Richard begins to fall.

Charlie. I freeze.

Richard.

Do it Charlie. Do it.

I can't.  I look into Richard's eyes as I speak. They are back to normal, but it's like I can see the creature taking back control every second I stare at him.

Please. Charlie please.

I'm sorry.

I know, it's okay.

I love you. I raise my arm back up and put my finger over the trigger.

I love you too- The gun jerk back as it fires. I see Richard's eyes go black once more before he turns to dust and the dust turns to nothing. There is nothing left. Nothing. The man I loved is gone. And even though he has been gone for a year, it all seems to hit me now.

He's gone.

I drop to my knees and sobs rack my body. The gun slips from my fingers and falls to the ground with a clatter. I scamble to kick it away.

I rock back and forth for hours and hour and hours, until I can no longer cry.