Black Eyes {12}

A.N: I'm still not sure whether or not to continue this, but for now, I will just write this chapter and see how I go.

Chapter Twelve

Year: 2016

I sat on the couch in the Torchwood hub, just staring. My mind is completely empty, no thoughts, no songs stuck randomly in my head, nothing, unless you count the occasional whispers from the thing in my head.

Gwen, Jack, Ianto and Richard were out on some kind of mission to kill/capture some kind of alien. I think I'm meant to be researching something, but I don't want to. I don't feel well, my stomach hurts, my head is pounding, and I don't feel happy.

I'm not happy like I used to be, when I was with Richard in our little flat, the first few years after becoming immortal. Then it all went downhill, my mood changed, I don't even remembering laughing any more. I know Richard has been depressed from the start and he is only getting worse.

I continue staring at the opposite couch and don't even realise when a body stands in front of me. I know it's a he, that's all. He begins to call my name, but I don't even hear him.

"Charlie!" Jack yells right in my ear. I shake my head slightly and look up at him. He stares at me with worry obvious in his eyes. I turn my gaze to Richard, Gwen and Ianto, they all have the same look on their face. "Gwen has called a team meeting. Come on" I nod vaguely, having only just registered what he said. They all walk off, all except Richard, who pulls me up and walks me into meeting room.

Everyone was already sitting at the table, the screen at the other end of the room was off. Gwen stood at the end. Jack and Ianto were sitting at the table. I sat down next to Richard and turned to face Gwen. I already knew what she was going to say, but decided to listen any way, just to be polite.

"So what is it?"Jack asked. Gwen took a deep breath before answering.

"I want to leave" Ianto and Jack were stunned silent while Richard and I just sat there staring.

"You want to what?" Jack said, nearly yelling.

"I want to leave" Gwen repeated "I can't stay here, I have a family to look after. A five year old daughter, Jack. A husband that I love. I need to leave" She paused "Just don't retcon me" There was a silence, an unbelievably long silence, in which I had no idea what anyone was thinkning. I can't read minds, I can just see what will happen and what has happened.

The silence was finally broken by Jack's voice whispering in my ear, I didn't even realise that he was there. "What happens now?" I look in his eyes and see all of his past, like a flash. That sort of thing happens alot when my head hurts. I see myself  and Richard telling him things, like where to find Tosh, telling him to hire Owen and Ianto and Gwen, where John Hart went after he fell from the building. I even told him what they had been doing during the time that Jack had been gone and where he would find them. I seem to tell him everything.

"She leaves, you don't retcon her. Everyone seems to get happier" I answer after a while of just staring and thinking.

"By everyone, you only mean me and Ianto, don't you?" I nod and Jack turns back to Gwen. Richard walked over and whispered something in his ear, Jack nods. "Fine. No retcon and when you die, you can be buried in a cemetery and your relatives can have your stuff" Gwen looks at him with surprise on her face, I knew she wasn't expecting it.

"Thankyou Jack" She says, walking ver and hugging him. "Goodbye everyone" She walks over to Ianto and does the same, then to Richard, then me. Gwen and I never really liked each other, but she knew that I needed to be there and accepted it. But what she said really shocked me.

"Look after them. I trust you" She pulled away from me and I just stared, not blinking at all, as she walked out of the room and got her stuff.

                                                                         * * *

"What happens now?" Jack asked me. Gwen had just left and we were sitting in the meeting room.

"We do what we did already, it doesn't matter that Gwen left. We can still beat aliens" I answered. I looked at the three other people in the room. Richard looked as though he was asleep, his eyes closed and his head resting on the back of the chair. Jack was looking at me expectantly and Ianto was staring at the table miserably. He had been upset since he found out he was meant to be dead, no matter how many times Richard and I explained it to him. Although I don't think that it is the only reason. I have the feeling that no one has been very happy since that day. "We are immortal afterall, we could do this forever" I sound sad as I say this, sadder than I usually do.

 The room falls into silence after I say this and for many minutes we are just looking at each other. Until Ianto stands up.

"I'm going home" Is all he says. He normally doesn't go home first, normally he is the last to leave, but it has been happening more often now. Him  and Jack have been having problems, fights, ever since the day Jack found out Ianto was immortal. Gwen has been telling jack things and trying to hit on him, it's why I don't like her. Who hits on a guy when they are married? But it ruined Jack and Ianto's relationship a little. I know they will get better, I know Richard and I will get better.

I just don't know when.