Chapter Nine

Now the companions found themselves being chased by orcs. "Ladies, Bilbo! Keep up!" called out Thorin. "We are!" they called back. Samantha positioned her bow, firing arrows at the orcs approaching her, while Judith and Merrilee used their swords fighting off the creatures. "This is fun! This is like being part of a rennaisance faire!" cheered Merrilee. "Merrilee, this is real life, and we can get hurt for real. This is no fun and games, Merrilee!" shouted Judith. Suddenly, they could hear a loud scream from behind them. It came from Samantha. Two arrows struck Samantha's leg, and she fell. "SAM!" cried out Thorin, quickly running towards her.  Samantha closed her eyes, murmuring some words. She had no idea what she was doing, as she murmured. Suddenly a bright light shown around her, shoving blasting away several orcs. Thorin stood in shock and amazment when he saw this coming from Samantha. Gandalf will be proud of her, she's using her powers! Thorin thought. Suddenly, her spell worn out, and she let out another cry in pain. Thorin approached her, and picked her up. "Where's Gandalf?" asked Oin. "The wizard has abandoned us!" moaned Dwalin.

Suddenly, they heard Gandalf shouting at them. "Over here, you fools!" shouted Gandalf from behind a large rock. The company ran towards them. "Take her down into the tunnels, quick! All of you! Into the tunnels!" demanded Gandalf. And so Thorin and Samantha went into the tunnel first, followed by the rest of the company. Kili came in last, after firing an arrow at an orc.  Shortly after Kili tumbled into the tunnel, a dead orc rolled in, laying in front of Thorin. With one hand, Thorin removed the arrow from the orc. "Elves!" spat the dwarf. "Where does this tunnel lead? Should we follow it?" asked Dwalin. "Let's follow it!" piped in Bofur.  Then Gandalf leads the company into the tunnel, with Thorin carrying Samantha. "Aunt Sam! Is she going to be okay?!" cried out Judith. "She has been struck by orcs. Lets just hope we get into Rivendell in time before the poison effects her." said Gandalf. "Poison?! NO! Aunt Sam can't die on us now! She's the only relative we have left!" cried Merrilee. Kili placed his arm around Merrilee. "Its okay, Merrilee." whispered Kili.

 Finally, they came to where they looked out over a beautiful valley, filled with trees and beautiful landscape. In the center of it all was a large palace. "The Hidden Valley of Imaladris! Home of Lord Elrond!" said Gandalf. "Rivendell!" said Bilbo softly, smiling. "Is this your plan all long, Gandalf? To seek refuge with our enemy?!" snarled Thorin. "The only ill will you bring is on yourself, Thorin." said Gandalf. "But they will stop us!" protested the dwarf. "Of course they will! But in the meantime, we must seek answers. And only Lord Elrond knows the translation of the map. And secondly, if Samantha doesn't get the medical attention immediately, she will die." said Gandalf.  Thorin bowed his head, and his heart sank. The thought of Samantha dying--he cannot lose her--not now.  And so they followed Gandalf into the Valley. They shortly found themselves in the courtyard of Lord Elrond's home. They are now greeted by a dark haired Elf, Lindir, Elrond's advisor. "Greetings, Mithrandir!" said Lindir. "Greetings, Lindir. Is Lord Elrond home?" asked Gandalf.

 "Lord Elrond is not home." replied the elf. But no sooner as Lindir said that, the Company could hear horns sounding, and now see many elves on horses, circling around them. Thorin ordered the dwarves to stand in attack mode. "Your morons! They're not going to hurt us!" grumbled Judith. "I never seen such a paranoid bunch in my entire life!" said Merrilee. Shortly Elrond arrived. Gandalf introduces Elrond to the members of the Company, including Bilbo, Samantha, Judith and Merrilee. Elrond first speaks to Thorin. "Thorin, son of Thrain! You have your grandfather's bearing!" said the elf Lord. "Strange, I don't remember him mentioning you!" scowled Thorin. Suddenly, Elrond began to speak in his language, which Gloin assumed that the Elf Lord was insulting them. "He's not insulting you, Gloin! He's offering you food!" said Gandalf. "Your niece! Its been years since I have seen Lady Samantha! When did you bring her back?" asked Elrond. "Several months ago. I needed her with us, she will be of great use with Thorin and Company." said Gandalf.