Chapter Eighteen

Thorin sat down next to Samantha. "Its going to be okay, Sam. No one is going to seperate us. You understand that don't you?" said Thorin softly,looking into Samantha's eyes. "Why did she go off and do it, Thorin? Why?" asked Samantha. "Samantha, I have no place to say this, although she is your niece. But its time for you to let her go!" said Thorin. "But its hard, Thorin." said Samantha. "I know its hard. I'm quite surprised with Judith being her twin, Judith is holding up well as she is." said Thorin. "Fili's been helping her cope." smiled Samantha slightly. "Fili--he's a very good lad, and our future king!" said Thorin, pulling Samantha close to him. "I love you, Sam, and no one is going to tear us apart." whispered Thorin, stroking Samantha's hair. "I love you too, Thorin." whispered Samantha, and she planted a kiss on Thorin's lips. When they finished kissing, Thorin looked at Samantha. "Sam, Bard doesn't need to know who you really are. And the Master. If they find out that you are Pallando's daughter, they will take advantage of you." said Thorin. Samantha nodded.  

"Come, lets go back and join the others." said Thorin. Samantha and Thorin soon joined the others back in the dining room, and they begin discussing weapons.  Samantha could see that Thorin was not all happy with the weapons,and Gloin thought that the weapons are cheaply made. They waited until Bard had left the room when Nori spoke up. "We should go and take some from the Armory!" grinned Nori. "Isn't that stealing?" said Judith. "No, its called borrowing, Judith!" Nori replied back sarcastically. "You know stealing is wrong, and its going to get all of us trouble." said Samantha. "Sam, we need weapons to face the dragon." said Thorin. Samantha sighed. The last thing she needed right now was for all of them to get arrested before Durin's Day.  "Don't worry, we won't get caught. I'm very professional when it comes to this sort of thing." said Nori. "You're a professional alright." grumbled Dwalin.  Dwalin looked to Samantha. "Nori in his younger days has been a thief most of his life." began the bald dwarf. "I've been trying to stop him from doing it, but the lad refuses to listen!" piped in Dori.  Nori rolled his eyes when Dori had spoken up.

Samantha decided to remain silent.  "Come lads. We're going to get some weapons." said Dwalin. "Sam, Judith, you two stay here while we do this. I'm sure Bard's daughters and son will keep you company. And with Bilbo still having his cold, he needs looked after as well." said Thorin Both women nodded. Bilbo remained in bed still, fighting a nasty cold. "You know today is Bilbo's birthday?" said Judith. "Really? Oh! The poor dear. And fighting a nasty cold. Not one way to celebrate a birthiday.' said Samantha. "Do you think we should make him a birthday cake?" asked Judith. "The hobbit's birthday is today?" piped in Tilda. "Yes. And the poor little guy is suffering a cold. We should do something to liven up his spirits." said Judith. "We don't have much, but we have some things that will work. Follow me into the kitchen!" said Sigrid.  Judith and Sigrid went into the kitchen while, Samantha went and checked up on Bilbo.

When Samantha entered Bilbo's room, she saw the hobbit had just woken up, and he was blowing his nose. "How are you feeling, Bilbo?" asked Samantha. "Still have a nasty cold. I wish the cold would go away!" said Bilbo. "And by the way, Happy birthday!" said Samantha. Bilbo looked up at Samantha and smiled. "Thank nyou! But how did you know its my birthday?" asked Bilbo. "Because you told me, remember?" asked Samantha.  Bilbo laughed. "Of course, yes I remembered telling you that day we was all talking about birthday parties. You seemed to be the only one out of all the company that acknowledged my birthday." said Bilbo sadly. "Well, technically I'm the only one persay!" grinned Samantha. Suddenly, they could hear Sigrid and Judith calling up to them. "Come, lets go downstairs. Sigrid's calling for us." said Samantha. When Samantha and Bilbo went downstairs to the dining area, Sigrid, Tilda, Bain, and Judith yelled 'Surprise, Happy Birthday Bilbo!" to the hobbit, with a small cake with a candle lit on the dining room table.

The hobbit felt so moved by the gesture, he burst into tears. "I don't know I ever thank you all for this. I only assumed that my birthday was going to be a bad one this year, I didn't know anyone paid attention!" said Bilbo, smiling brightly, wiping away a tear. "We done it for you, Bilbo. We don't like seeing you sad and gloomy!" said Judith. "Lets sing Happy Birthday To Bilbo, then we'll cut the cake!" said Samantha. Samantha lead them in singing 'Happy Birthday to Bilbo: