Chapter Twenty-Four

Six months later..

It had been six months since the dwarves reclaimed their home. Now plans are in the making of the Royal Wedding and coronation of King Thorin and Queen Samantha. The kingdoms Erebor, Dale and Lake Town, all busy, preparing for the major event.  Dis, Thorin's sister is expected to arrive in Erebor that very night. "I cannot wait to meet your sister, Thorin." said Samantha. "You're going to really like her, and she's going to really like you." said Thorin, as they ate supper. "Thorin, do you think the dwarves in the counsel will like me? I mean, they know that we're getting married and everything." said Samantha. "Sam, everyone knows about you, and they really like you. You saved my life, and nearly died saving me.To them, they highly respect you! And tonight, you will get to meet all the dwarves in the council." said Thorin.  Samantha felt very nervous on this. Maybe not all dwarves would feel the same as the dwarves in Erebor, and Thorin's companions. Early that evening, Dis arrives, and she met Samantha. In fact, when Dis first saw Samantha, she ran to her and hugged her tightly, tears streaming down her face.

"Thank you, daughter of Pallando, for saving my brother. It was a very brave and noble deed." said Dis. "Thank you, Lady Dis, for your kind words. I love your brother, very very much. I would be lost without him, my nieces, and Fili and Kili. By the way, have you seen them?" asked Samantha. "Fili and Kili yes. They have grown up so fast! And I understand Fili is courting your niece Judith!" grinned Dis "Judith told you, didn't she?" asked Samantha. "Oh yes. Every time she mentions Fili, she blushes!" laughed Dis. Thorin smiled. "I'm a little bit nervous on meeting the dwarven council tonight. I'm worried they're not going to like me." said Samantha. "Samantha, how would they not like you? You are a hero among us. You saved Thorin from death. And you are a daughter of a respectable wizard. Of course they will like you, Sam. Come, I'm going to help you look your best when you meet them tonight." said Dis, grinning. Thorin laughed. He knew his sister couldn't wait to beautify Samantha in dwarf fashion.  

She hoped Dis would help her. She didn't know how to dress dwarf fashion, and she knew Dis would help her in a heartbeat when it came to that.  Three hours later, Samantha enters the Council chambers, escorted by Thorin, with Dis, Balin, Dwalin, Fili and Kili following them Judith went to Lake Town with Merrilee so they could spend time with Bain. Judith didn't want Merrilee to go into Lake Town alone.  Meanwhile, the meeting began, Thorin introduces Samantha, and giving the formal announcement of their wedding. Most of the dwarves of the council smiled and cheered. But there were two dwarves that didn't smile at all, and frowned at Samantha It was a father and a daughter. When Thorin noticed the father and daughter were there, his eyes widen in horror and in anger. "Thorin, what's wrong?" asked Samantha. Thorin didn't answer, but the dwarf woman stood up. "You are showing disgrace of our people, my lord! She shouldn't be allowed here!" barked the woman. Then, the male dwarf stood up and approached Thorin. "You promised my daughter, Esmeralda a hand in marriage, during your stay in the Blue Mountains! You never replied to the offer! And now--now this! You're marrying some strange woman we never heard of, and outside of our race!! Have you forgotten the laws, my lord?!" snarled the man.

"Thorin, what in the hell is going on? What are they talking about?! What laws?!" shouted Samantha, now it was her turn getting angry.  A look of hurt clouded over Thorin's features, when he saw the anger in Samantha's eyes "What Laws? You never told me of the sort! And who is this other woman?!" barked Samantha. Thorin stood stunned, trying to think of something to say. But before Thorin tried to speak to Samantha, Samantha bolted out of the Council chambers. "Sam!" cried out Thorin. Dis, Balin, and Dwalin bowed their heads sadly. But then Dwalin became angry, and he approached the male dwarf and his daughter who spoke out against Samantha. "You two aren't supposed to be here! Weren't you two exiled long ago?" barked the bald dwarf. "And who do you have the right to say that? You're no King! You're just a royal guard!" shouted the dwarf man. "Narkil, you have no right being here. I never promised your daughter's hand in marriage! She left me for another, after Smaug attacked. I thought I banished you long ago for attacking my sister!" said Thorin.