chapter 18: coming home

it had been two years since joshua had moved to california, but tonight was the night he was coming back.

his parents were staying at their new home, but joshua was officially living alone in their columbus house.

tyler was ecstatic.

he was excited to tell his boyfriend he hadn't self harmed once in the past year. he was excited to show his boyfriend his tattoos. he was excited to finally hug and kiss his boyfriend and tell him just how much he loves him in person.

he was waiting at the terminal at the airport for josh's flight, his knee bouncing up and down. he was nervous to see his boyfriend, too. what if he didn't like how tyler physically looked anymore? what if he only came home to tell him he found someone else?

no, joshua would never do that.

after an hour of waiting, the flight attendant made the announcement that the flight had landed. tyler grinned widely and stood up, a bouquet of red roses in his hand.

joshua couldn't stop smiling the entire plane ride, his boyfriend the only thing on his mind. but there was one thing that made him nervous. more nervous than he's ever been.

how would tyler react?

he grabbed his suitcase and put his backpack on his shoulder, grinning widely as he exited the plane.

he looked up from the ground and met eyes with the gorgeous boy he left behind two years ago.

and he started running.

as fast as he could until he tackled the boy in a hug and pressed a long, loving kiss against his lips.

tyler was crying.

he wrapped his arms around josh's shoulder's. josh's being around tyler's waist, and continued to kiss him, many people 'aweee'ing.

eventually they were forced to pull back for oxygen, pressing their foreheads together and looking into each other's eyes.

"hi, baby," josh said with a wide smile.

"hi, honey," tyler said sniffling with a grin.

"i'm never leaving you again," josh promised, kissing his boyfriend's forehead as he cupped his cheek gently.

"you better not. i hated having to practice kissing on my pillow."

josh laughed and took tyler's hand, simply walking around the airport with him. tyler handed him the roses and josh blushed, telling him he 'really didn't have to do that.'

they decided to drive out towards downtown for the night. they got onto the rooftop of a tall building and admired the city lights together, joshua hugging tyler's waist tightly from behind.

tyler turned around once he didn't feel josh's arms around his waist to kiss him.

but instead he found the one thing he'd been dreaming of since he was a little kid.

the love of his life, down on one knee, looking up at him and holding a small box in his hands.