The Morning

And I'll try to sleep, but just lie here awake- Kacey Musgraves, Fine

(The next morning)
Inej was asleep, her head on his chest, hair a fan, strands tickling his nose.  It was dawn, and Kaz had been awake for an hour, just running his fingers through her silky hair and appreciating the safety of the moment. He looked at the windowsill, where Inej had been sitting, about to jump.  To end her life to be with someone like him.  She released a shuddering breath, and Kaz wondered what she was dreaming about.   It was nice to just hold her, to have her not stressing about something, for once in their confusing life. Kaz felt her start to move and then she jerked up. He looked at her, but she stumbled out of bed, hardly making it to the water basin before throwing up. Kaz got up quickly and went over, pulling back her hair and rubbing her back.

She heaved into the bowl for a few long moments before leaning back into him, her breathing heavy. Kaz held her and she took in a shuddering breath.

"I have to go see Nina today."

"I think we might need to get a doctor to look at you." Inej shook her head.

"I'm fine, it's just side effects of the pregnancy."  Kaz let her go and Inej picked up the bowl, going over to the window and dumping it out, then washing the bowl out with water.  Kaz watched her silent, shadowy movements, the way the sun glittered in her hair, the golden tones in her eyes.
He couldn't survive without her.  She was more than his lover, but also his friend, and mother of his child.  Inej caught him staring at her and blushed, tucking hair out of her face.  They both got dressed in fresh clothes, but Kaz was restricted to the room.  He wasn't going to let anyone see him so that they could escape later.

"Are you sure you won't go mad being cooped up in this room?"  Kaz shook his head, wrapping an arm around her waist, her hand dropping from the doorknob as she wrapped her arms lazily around his shoulders.  Kaz best his head down, lips against her ear.

"I'll see you later," he murmured into her ear, and Inej hugged him. 

"Be safe 'Nej."  She pulled away, smiling, opening the door.

"I'll be back soon."

————————————————-

Hey guys! So I'm on my phone, so please pardon any mistakes.  Sorry I haven't been updating, and that this is short.  I've been publishing on my newer book, trying to get that started.  Anyways, don't forget to vote and comment!!

-MOJ