Chapter 11

After we stood there, watching the jeep drive off, everyone finally began to walk back to the building. I was walking along with them but was stopped suddenly by a large hand on my shoulder. I half-expected it to be Jasper, but when I turned around, I noticed it was a Bismuth. She had her rainbow dreadlocks slicked back with a headband and her hulking figure towered over me. "Dude, how did you do that?!" she suddenly asks excitedly with an impressed smile on her face. "D-do what?" "You weren't punished by the boss!" Oh...right....

"O-oh! I, um, maybe just because I'm a newbie or something..." I said, but inside I had a different reason in mind. "I'm Bismuth, well, you kinda already know that heh...but I wanted to introduce myself officially..." Bismuth stated, holding her hand out. "Pene--Peridot." I corrected myself, taking her hand and shaking it. "M'kay I'm gonna be real with you, Peridot. I've been here a long time and I've never seen Lapis be so considerate toward a gang member - especially a Peridot." Bismuth explained, which surprised me greatly. 

"I mean, c'mon, man. When you and Jasper got into that fight, she held a fuckin' knife to Jasper's neck and yelled at her. She may have held a knife to you too, but damn...the way she hesitated and just backed up like that....do you know her personally?" I thought for a moment, and didn't exactly know how to answer that question. I mean, I did know her....

"I-um.....well...it's complicated, really." I stutter, looking at the ground. Bismuth gave me a confused look for a moment, but shook it off and just smiled again. She looked me up and down and put her hands on her hips. "Y'know for a Peridot you look pretty badass to me. I'll see you around, champ." Bismuth says waving, and she then runs to the building. 

....

After what Bismuth told me, I couldn't stop thinking about why Lapis actually did give me an extension on my mission. It was like a second chance - and it didn't seem like she gave people second chances here very often. There was one reason that popped in my head. But it seemed a little too good to be true to be honest; Does she remember me?

There was a loud knock on the door which interrupted my thoughts. I walked over to the door and opened it. There stood Jasper with an expressionless face. "Um....h-hi..." I muttered awkwardly, wondering why the hell she was here. I thought she was mad at me. "Hey...um...can we talk?" she asked, her voice cracking a little. I nodded slowly, and stepped aside to let her in. "Look...I-I'm sorry about the other day, a-and I shouldn't have blown up like that at you. Mine and Lapis's past relationship is just.....a touchy subject, you know?" She explained and her hands were shaking. I also noticed that her eyes were a little red and there were dark circles under her eyes. Had she even gotten any sleep lately?

"I get it. I-I'm sorry too...I shouldn't have pressured you into apologizing to Lapis. I just thought it would be better for everybody if you did..." "Yeah, I know. And it probably is but....I'm just not ready to have a conversation with her, yet." Jasper says quietly, looking at the ground in sadness. Silence filled the room for a moment, then Jasper spoke up again. "Well, anyway....I can't believe Lapis just let you off the hook like that! She would never do that for anyone else..." "Yeah, so I've been told. I actually kinda think I know why..." My voice trailed off. 

"Why?" Jasper asks. "She remembers me. She just won't say it." I state, looking into her eyes. Jasper's eyes grow wide with surprise, and her mouth even drops a little. "You really think so?" she finally asks in a high-pitched voice. "Yeah...I'm gonna talk to her..." "WHAT? NO!" Jasper suddenly shouts, startling me. 

"What's the problem?!" I shout in fear, wondering what her freaking deal was. "What if she doesn't remember you?! She'll just get mad at you for trying to connect with her and she'll prob'ly punish you!" the buff girl shouts, clenching her fists all of a sudden. "I trust that she won't punish me...it's worth a try, right?"

"NO IT'S NOT, DIPSHIT! YOU'RE GONNA DIE!"

"You're overreacting."

"YOU'RE OVERREACTING!"

"We were good friends!"

"She'll kill you!"

"I trust her!"

"She'll kill you!"

We went back and forth like this for about 10 minutes until Jasper finally gave up. "Fine, just....be careful and don't say I didn't warn you..." Jasper huffs and pats me on the back. Before she walks out the door, she gives me one last nervous look. She then walks out and hesitantly closes the door behind her.

I looked at the clock, and it read 1:13 PM. I might as well go talk to her now....I put on my leather jacket and headed out the door once again. As I was walking down the hallway, I felt my palms get all sweaty and my throat felt dry.

What the hell am I getting myself into?