Chapter 33

Peridot's POV:

I sat on the rock-hard mattress with my head in my hands. I watched as my tears dripped down onto the hard floor through blurry vision, and I sniffled loudly. How did this happen? How did I end up here? I raise my head up and look around, examining the cell for probably the eighth time. I just couldn't believe that I was in prison. When I was little, I believed I was going to be the most successful scientist to ever live, going to an amazing college and becoming an amazing worker. All of that just slipped through my fingers - and I could never grasp that life back into my hands.

I wonder if Lapis noticed that I'm gone yet, I thought, suddenly concerned. What if she thinks I just left?! What if she's looking for me right now?! What if she's worried sick?! Or......what if she hadn't noticed I'm gone....I couldn't help but let Yellow Pearl's final harsh words get to me. Face it, you inferior bitch! Nobody loves you! Your mother never loved you! Lapis doesn't love you, you are a failure....

Those words stung worse than all of the hits I've taken in my life. I stood up, and walked over to the bars restricting me from the outside. I stared out of them, just contemplating life at that point. A surge of rage shot through me, and I let out a growl as I banged the wall with my fist in frustration. This wasn't supposed to happen...

A choked sob escaped my throat as I fell to my knees. "DON'T KEEP ME IN HERE!" I cried through the steel bars, not one of the security guards paying attention to me one bit. "Lapis...mom...." I whispered in between sobs. I felt so helpless, just sitting there hopelessly crying like a baby. I sat there in the center of the cell, my arms wrapped protectively around my knees for a whole two hours. 

A gun-shot noise echoed through the jail halls, startling the crap out of me. Several gun-shots then followed that one and I heard the cries of security guards and other officers. What the hell?! I got up off of the floor and walked up to the bars once again to get a better look at what was going on. A sudden blood splatter painted the back walls after a cry from a security guard filled the air. 

I gasped, and backed away, afraid of what might happen if these people caught sight of me. A figure then started running towards my cell, and I screeched in terror, thinking they were gonna shoot me or something. "Hey hey hey! Peridot! It's me!" A familiar voice whisper-shouted to me. "Gasp! LAPIS!" I cried in joy, running back to the bars. 

Lapis pulled a strange beeping device out of her leather jacket, and attached it to the steel bars. "GET BACK AND HIDE IN THE CORNER!" Lapis shouted as she suddenly ran away from it. The beeping grew louder and faster, and I yelped and ran to the corner, crouching into a ball. KA-BOOM! An extremely loud explosion burst from the device, and I crouched even further into the corner, praying not to get burned. 

Hot air burst through and it blew over me, the pain only slightly there. The painful part was the sound, because my hearing was temporarily blown out for a few seconds. When I stood up, there was smoke everywhere, and a high-pitched ringing was all I could hear. "L-Lapis? Lapis!" I shouted through the smoke, and I strained my eyes to see through it. I then saw Lapis's tall figure walk toward me. 

As soon as I was able to hear again, I ran to Lapis and jumped into her arms. "LAPIS!" I yelled, hugging her tightly. She was shocked at the sudden embrace at first, but she then hugged back shortly after. "Peridot! Are you okay?!" Lapis asked, as soon as we parted. Before I could reply, a security guard then came into view and he yelled across the hall. "HEY! GET OVER HERE!" 

Lapis's head snapped in the direction of guard, and her expression grew cold. He pulled his gun out and pointed it at us. Lapis then pulled her gun from her leather jacket and pointed it at him. He then pulled the trigger and Lapis tackled me onto the floor, barely dodging the bullet. SHE JUST SAVED MY LIFE. 

"Stay low!" Lapis commanded, and I remained laying on my stomach. I watched as Lapis swiftly shot the security guard right in the middle of the forehead, killing him instantly. "Nice aim..." I muttered. "I know." Lapis replied with a smirk, and she grabbed my hand and pulled me up. We ran down the halls as officers from every corner started chasing us. 

We then met an Amethyst and Ruby at the front surrounded by dead guards spread out. "Thanks for holdin' em off." Lapis said to them, and they both nodded. We ran out the doors, hearing commanding screeches behind us from the surviving officers. Lapis bent over to give me a boost onto her motorcycle. I hopped onto her back and she hoisted me onto the large bike. 

She hopped on quickly afterwards and I wrapped my arms around her waist and buried my face into her upper back. We dashed off down the street, followed by the other two members on their bikes. As we drove, I felt a sense of comfort when I held onto Lapis, and I was thrilled to be out of jail at last.

The whole ride was silent - but it wasn't an awkward silence...it was more so a comforting and peaceful silence. Once we arrived at the gang building, I hopped off first and Lapis followed. The bluenette intertwined her fingers with mine, and gave me a reassuring look. I smiled, and we walked into the building, the Amethyst and Ruby following close behind us. 

We then divided from the other two members, and it was just Lapis and I in the elevator together. Lapis then let go of my hand, and she looked at me with an emotionless expression. I raised an eyebrow in question, and Lapis raised her hand up.

I yelped as Lapis back-handed me across the face, and her eyebrows furrowed slightly. "What the hell was that for?!" I asked, rubbing the probably visible hand print on my cheek. "What the hell did you do, Peridot?!" Lapis raised her voice, throwing her arms in the air. "I'M SORRY!  It was just supposed to be an interrogation! She started talking shit about you and my mom and she started getting in my head and I just lost it!" I shouted, and hadn't realized that tears were rolling down my cheeks until Lapis wiped them.

"Sigh...look. I just don't want you to become someone like me. You still have good in you and I wanna keep that inside of you instead of taking it away...there's no more hope for me - but there still is for you, Peri..." Lapis explained, and her expression looked pained. "Lapis...there's good in you too! It's not your fault that you've been under the influence of murderers, drugs, and violent crimes for a big chunk of your life...I know what I did was wrong, but I did for you...because I still have hope for you..." I explained, hoping to get through to her.

"Steven is one of those good parts in you, and when that part was ruined, I had to do everything in my power to make sure that debt was paid for...I hoped you can understand that..." I muttered, twiddling my fingers. the elevator had stopped descending a long time ago, and we were just standing in there at that point. The doors were already open, so we just walked out. 

We entered Lapis's room, and as soon as we entered I kissed her on the lips passionately, wrapping my arms around her neck. She wrapped her arms around my waist, and deepened the kiss. Unfortunately, we need oxygen to breathe, so we had to break apart. "Don't slap me again..." I joked, earning a snort from Lapis. "Sorry about that..." she muttered, stroking my cheek. "I love you..." she said, a slight blush on her face. "I love you too..." I said, giggling as she kissed my neck playfully. 

There was then a knock at the door, and Lapis went to answer it. There stood a Jasper, and I consciously took a step back. "Ma'am, Steven Universe is going to be released..." she stated.