Chapter 10

The next morning...

I peacefully woke up for the first time in like 3 days. I surprisingly had no dreams whatsoever, and I'm kind of glad to be honest because 90% of the dreams I have are either nightmares or just plain weird dreams. Okay, you know what, that was a lie - I actually dreamed of Lapis last night, and not to be a perv or anything, but I'd prefer not to go into detail about what happened in that fanta--dream.

ANYWAYS I got up and threw a t-shirt on and slipped on my leather jacket. I walked out the door to go get some breakfast so I don't starve like I almost did yesterday. But as I was walking out, I overheard a group of Pearls gossiping about an upcoming meeting. I heard "I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready to see some heads roll at the end-of-the-week meeting tomorrow..." and "Omg, you'll never believe this, the meeting is gonna be a day earlier than normal..." "Why would she do that?" "Why wouldn't she do that? I mean, have you met the bitch?"

Damn, Lapis's servants talk a lot of crap about her behind her back. I kind of feel bad, considering she doesn't even enjoy being a gang leader for all of these criminals. But as I walked out the double doors, realization kicked in and I began to panic. THE DRONE NEEDS TO BE DONE BY TOMORROW!!! I then began to run to the Best Diner in the World, and I ordered my food to go. 

....

I unlocked the door to my room and busted in, throwing my leather jacket on the floor and slamming the door behind me. I dropped the bag of food onto my desk, and I started working as fast as possible on the drone again.

The next morning...

I continued twisting the screws into the drilled holes in the cold metal, and didn't even bother to check the clock. I was so tired, and I was wondering how late it was, and my eyes began to close. My head slowly lowered as I was falling asleep, but I was snapped back into reality after bonking my head on the desk. I finally opened my eyes wide, and quickly glanced at the clock - 11: 46 AM....WAIT 11:46 AM?! IT'S FUCKING MORNING?! THE MEETING STARTS AT NOON OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!!!!

I looked at my unfinished drone and I felt all of the blood drain from my face. I had literally 14 minutes to get a finished drone to the meeting or Lapis was gonna kill me! I tried to think of any plan at this point but nothing came to mind. I'm going to die today...I'm going to die today. That thought just kept repeating in my head as I walked out of the double doors to our meeting spot.

I actually thought of making a run for it as I walked out, but I didn't wanna take any risks because they probably put a tracking device inside me somewhere - I don't even wanna know. I then saw a line of people standing in the distance out in the dirt. The hot sun beat down on my face as I trudged to the spot everyone was at. I then stood in the same line as all of the other gang members, and frankly, they looked as nervous as I was. 

After a few minutes, a black jeep drove from the distance and came to a shuddering stop right in front of us. Out climbed, yup you guessed it, Lapis Lazuli, looking as intimidating as ever. She wore a dark gray tank top with at least 3 dogtags hanging around her neck, and once again a cigarette was hanging from her mouth. She had camouflage-print baggy pants on, and these heavy looking black combat boots that sunk into the soft dirt. 

The bluenette marched up to us slowly and took off her aviator sunglasses. Her eyes scanned all of us, and she continued to stand there. To be honest, the silence was killing me inside. She first walked up to a Jasper, not the Jasper I knew, but probably one of her friends. "Did you finish your mission?" Lapis asks coldly, not looking too patient today. 

"N-no m-ma'am..." the Jasper stuttered, starting to shake. "Why not?" "B-because I-I believe I didn't have enough time..." Lapis then raises her hand up, and slaps the buff girl across the face with a startlingly loud sound.  The Jasper squeaks in pain, and shuts her eyes closed. "HEY! LOOK AT ME! I GAVE YOU ENOUGH FUCKIN' TIME YOU SLACKER! I GAVE YOU TWO WEEKS TO KILL TWO PEOPLE!!!" Lapis yelled at the Jasper, making me even more nervous. 

After the blue-haired girl was done chewing out the first girl, she then walks over to a Bismuth, who also didn't finish her mission. Lapis then yelled at her, too, and it was getting scary as it was getting closer to my turn. Then the girl next to me was a Ruby, and she was the only one who didn't seem scared. "Ruby, did you finish your mission?" "N-no! And you can't make me!" The whole gang including me gasped in fear. "I think i speak for everyone here when I say that I'm done being bossed around by some challenged baby blue bitch who has no care for other human beings!" The Ruby shouted, and the air was filled with silence....too much silence.

"I used to care about everyone... but that never got me anywhere..." Lapis muttered, and this made me feel bad for her once again. Her expression was surprisingly blank, and  it also kinda of scared me to be honest. My sympathy then dissipated and my fear heightened when I saw what she did next. She reached into her back pocket and pulled out her pistol, and pressed the gun to Ruby's forehead. 

Ruby begins to tremble, and Lapis's expression continues to be blank. "Wanna say that again, red?" She says in a very cold voice. Ruby then tries to evade the gun and swing at Lapis, but just with a pull of the trigger, the frightening sound of a gunshot filled the air around us, and startled everyone here. I swallowed back the vomit coming up into my throat as I could see blood splatter from the back of Ruby's head as she falls backward, and hits the dirt with a thump. Lapis casually stuffs the gun back into her pocket like nothing happened.  

The gang members who were right next to her paled and looked at Ruby's lifeless body with wide eyes. "PEARL! I'm gonna need you to recruit a new Ruby for me by tomorrow, got it?" Lapis shouts, and the Pearl standing in the line closest to me quickly nodded. I then realize what probably happened to the last Peridot since they had to recruit me. A few silent moments pass, and next thing I know, Lapis marched up to me. "Did you finish building the drone yet, Peridot?" She asks, and I began to tremble. 

"N-n-no ma'am..." I stutter, swallowing hard. Before she could say anything, I felt tears running down my face and I accidentally let out helpless squeaks as Lapis stared at me with her scary-ass grey-blue eyes. "I-I couldn't f-finish it, boss, a-and I'm not prepared to make up an excuse for it, s-so you could do whatever you want, just p-please don't be too harsh...." I said, probably in a high-pitched voice. 

Lapis stares at me, and her blank expression suddenly turns into a....sad one? I continue to silently cry, and I see Lapis pull out her gun again, and I shut my eyes tightly. I feel her warm hands touch mine, and I immediately open my eyes and look down. She pulled my hands out and put her gun in them, and backed up a little. "You have a three-day extension, that's it. Keep that for the next mission I will assign you afterwards." She states, and leaves me and the rest of the gang speechless. 

She struts back to her jeep and hops in, slamming the car door. I hear the large vehicle start, and she rolled down the window looking at all of us one more time. She then stares at me for a little longer than she probably intended and shook it off, putting her sunglasses back on. "Remember your mission, Pearl. And everyone else, I will text them their next missions tonight, and I expect no complaints from you or you'll end up like this bitch here," she nods at the dead Ruby laying on the ground limp. 

I couldn't tell for certain, but I swore I saw Lapis give me a sad smile - but she could've been looking at someone else. And with that, she drove off into the distance, none of us knowing where she actually went. We all continued to stand here for a good 5 more minutes, until we were ready to actually move again. Well that was NOT what I expected at ALL.....