1.

8 years later

8 years later...

"Where are you going dressed all beautiful?" my fiancé Rashad asks while wrapping his muscular arms around me from behind.

"To an art showcase with Janelle."

Janelle is my only friend here in New York. We work at the same law firm. We always have a girl's night once a month and she got tickets to go to some art show.

"Have fun baby" he said and gave me a quick peck.

"Bye Dr. Carter."

I went outside and Janelle was pulling up. I hop in the car and then proceed to listen to her complain about her case load. That's what she gets for being a good lawyer.

We finally arrive to the gallery and the artwork is beautiful. There was so much to look at.

"Girl look at this," Janelle grabs my hand and pulls me towards a sculpture of a naked lady with daisies growing out of her body.

"Interesting." I plainly stated.

"It's ugly and so unrealistic. Nobody's body looks like that" Janelle critiqued the piece.

"I agree," a deep voice stated from behind us, "I should've added some stretch marks and belly rolls."

Janelle looked embarrassed and I turned around to see who the voice belonged to.

It was Cayman. I haven't seen him in years. He still has those pretty eyes and freckles but he looks slightly older.

"Zoey?" He questions.

"Cayman." I smile.

He pulls me in to a hug and instantly I feel like I'm 17 all over again. I've missed him so much. We lost contact because of adult life and being busy.

"Is this your showcase?" I ask.

"Yeah, I've been working on this stuff for three years."

"Everything looks amazing," I pull him into another hug, "I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks."

We stare at each other for a few seconds and then Janelle clears her throat.

"Cayman this is my friend Janelle."

She holds out her hand and he shakes it.

"Well I should probably get back to mingling with all the critiques and stuff. Zoey we should do lunch or something."

I agree and hand him my business card. We exchange one more hug and he walks away.

"Girl, how do you know him? He's too fine."

"He's an old friend."

***