22.

I woke up then quietly rolled out of bed, doing my best to not wake up Cayman

I woke up then quietly rolled out of bed, doing my best to not wake up Cayman. I tip toed to the bathroom then began to bathe. I spent the night at Cayman's house after he begged me to stay the day before. After I was done in the bathroom, I tip toed back into his room and grabbed some clothes to put on. Just as I was about to leave, Cayman's head popped up and he let out a yawn.

"Where are you going?" he asked while rubbing his eyes.

"Home."

"I don't understand why you won't just move in with me," he sighed, "All this back and forth doesn't make sense, especially when you have so much stuff here."

I rolled my eyes. Cayman has been wanting to move in together and I'm not with it. I just moved a few months ago and I don't want to relocate again. Plus, there's so many uncertainties about us living together. Like, what if we stop getting along or disagree on something. I don't want to lose what we have.

"I'm not talking about this right now. I have to go prepare for court tomorrow."

"You never want to talk about it. I'm starting to think you don't want to be together," he sat up and moved to the edge of the bed.

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow, "Of course I want to be with you but I'm not moving right now."

"Whatever," he sucked his teeth, "You're not acting like it."

"You sound dumb," I shot back, "I'm done with this conversation."

I walked out the bedroom then went to put my shoes on.

"Are you serious right now?" Cayman raised his voice, "Don't walk away from a conversation just because you're mad."

"Don't tell me what to do," I said then headed towards the door.

Cayman grabbed my arm as I walked away and I quickly snatched it out of his grip.

"You're being too sensitive right now. Everything doesn't always have to be about you."

I opened the door then made sure to slam it behind me. That boy must have lost his mind. I am no where near selfish. I need a break from him before I hurt his feelings.

I hopped into my car and sped off to my house. Once I got home, I got in bed and laid on my back, staring at the ceiling. Me and Cayman have never argued like this and I haven't been mad at him since high school.

After staying in the same spot for two hours, I got up and began preparing for court. Doing work always calms me down. As I prepared my questions for the plaintiff, my phone started ringing. When I saw it was Cayman calling, all my frustration from this morning reappeared so I decided not to answer. He called back three more times and I began to grow more upset until I threw my phone under my bed and continued working. I'll talk to him when I'm ready.

••••

I stood in front of the judge with Christian right beside me. We were waiting to see if she would grant bail.

"After looking over the charges Mr. Smith is facing, I've decided to deny the request for bail."

I rolled my eyes and Christian sighed.

"The trial will begin July ninth," the judged said and my heart sank. That's a month from now.

The correctional officer came and escorted Christian out of the courtroom. I could feel my blood boiling so I quickly left the courtroom and took a seat on a bench outside. I really hate that judge. Now Christian has to sit in a cell for another month.

"Zoey Reed," someone said then took a seat next to me.

I looked up then became annoyed. Today is not my day.

"Jared," I dryly stared.

Jared works for a law firm that does a lot of high profile cases. They've been trying to hire me since I passed the bar.

"I know you're upset. No bail? That's a first."

"Why are you talking to me?"

"You know the offer is still o the table."

I'll never work for a private firm. I feel like it is my responsibility to serve the community not help rich people get out of crimes the committed.

"And the offer can stay there," I stood up, "Have a nice day Jared."

I walked out of the courthouse and my phone started ringing. I looked at the screen then declined to call. It was just Cayman for the thousandth time.

"Really?" I looked up and saw Cayman sitting on my car.

I ignored him and unlocked the door. I placed my brief case in the back seat then went to open the driver's door only to be blocked by Cayman who stood in the way.

"Move," I said and tried to push him out the way which was a fail.

"Just hear me out," he pleaded.

"Not right now."

"Then when?"

"I don't know. I need to be by myself for a little while."

"What are you saying?" his voice cracked and he slowly backed away from the car.

"I think we should give each other some space to breathe."

"If that's how you feel, then fine I'll leave you alone. Sorry I've been taking up your space," he began to walk away with his head hung low.

"Cayman," I called after him and he turned around.

I ran up to him and grabbed his hand.

"I didn't mean it like that," I said, "I'm saying I want to take some time alone and be in my own space so that I won't get annoyed with you so easily."

"So I'm annoying," he snatched his hand away.

"No. Will you listen to me? I love you, that's why I need to be away from you. Ever heard that absence makes the heart grow fonder?" I smiled.

"Fine," he pulled me into a hug then kissed my cheek, "but if I call, you answer."

••••