10.

I've been living in this apartment for a week and I swear it's haunted

I've been living in this apartment for a week and I swear it's haunted. Stuff is always randomly falling and I keep hearing things. Maybe I'm just not used to living by myself.

I was sitting on the floor going over evidence one last time to prepare for court tomorrow when suddenly there was loud banging on my door. I grabbed my taser before looking through the peep hole.

It's just Janelle. I opened the door.

"Why do you have a taser?"

"Because you were banging on my door like a crazy person and I'm already scared of this place."

She laughed and took a seat next to me on the floor.

"I really hope you win tomorrow. Jason has been through so much." she said.

Jason is who I'm representing. He's facing 10 years because some racist store owners are accusing him of stealing. All the evidence shows that they've got the wrong kid but because he's black they're trying to get him to take a plea deal.

He's such a sweet kid and he has a bright future ahead of him. The only problem is that the jury is mostly white so they'll probably give him a guilty verdict. It's so frustrating because he's not even being judged by his peers just like in every other case I've been apart of.

••••

"Your honor, this is ridiculous!" The prosecutor yelled after I called the plaintiff and this entire case racist.

"Settle down," the judge banged her gavel, "We'll take a recess until Monday so you can get yourself together." She glared at the prosecutor.

This is actually going better than I thought.

I was walking out of the building when the prosecutor, Jeffery grabbed my arm. I quickly snatched my arm from his grip and then glared at him.

"Do you people always have to play the race card." He asked in his stupid voice.

I rolled my eyes at him.

"Do you people always have to be racist?" I asked then walked away. I don't have time for this.

I hopped into my car and drove to Cayman's house.

I knocked on the door and he answered with Cameron strapped to his chest. They were both covered in green paint.

"What are you doing here?" He asked after letting me in.

"The judge called a recess and I missed my buddy." I took Cameron out of the harness and Cayman groaned.

"You need your own baby so you can stop taking mine."

"You're taking about him like he's a toy."

"Come see our masterpiece."

I followed him into his art studio and admired everything that he has created. He's so creative.