13.

Well, Ive been a teacher for a month now and I think this is my calling

Well, Ive been a teacher for a month now and I think this is my calling. I'm definitely the cool teacher. For the most part I haven't had any problems. The students are great and I'm thinking about doing a showcase at the school.

"Aye Mr.Taylor," Lucas yelled, "What you think if this?" He handed me a sketch that he'd been working on for a while.

"Looks good kid. Write a list of supplies and I'll see what I can do."

He smiled and headed back to his desk. Instead of going to lunch, he always stays in my classroom to work on something. He's extremely creative and dedicated. He could definitely have a future as an artist if he wanted to.

The end of the day finally rolled around and I couldn't be happier. The only thing that sucks about this job is that I don't get to be around Cameron as often. He'll be one in a week and Zoey has been planning a little party for him. My mom and brother are coming and I can't wait.

I walked out of classroom and bumped into Ms. Greene. She's the other art teacher here and she can be annoying.

"I am so sorry," she reached out and rubbed down my arm, "I wasn't paying attention."

"It's fine," I smiled and walked away.

As I was driving, I got call from Zoey and she was crying.

"Slow down and say that again," I said and she took a deep breath.

"I went to pick up Cameron and when he saw me he said 'mama' and now I'm emotional and don't know what to do with myself." She cried.

Cameron has been saying little words but this is a big deal.

"Chill out Zoey he was probably making random sounds he doesn't know what that means."

"Whatever Cayman," she sighed and then hung up the phone.

I really don't understand her sometimes.

I pulled up to her house and let myself in. She was sitting on the couch with a sleeping Cameron in her lap. She saw me come in and rolled her eyes. I reached for Cameron but she pulled him closer to her.

"Why were you crying?"

"Because I wasn't sure how to feel about him calling me mama so I just started crying but thanks to you I realize that I'm over reacting."

"Well," I sighed and grabbed one of her hands, "You might as well be his mom. He's with you more than his actual mom and you're great with him."

I haven't seen Cameron's mom since court. She was supposed to get him on weekends but she's been MIA. I wish Zoey really was his mom. She's great with him and it's obvious that she loves him and he's really attached to her. He probably does think Zoey is his mom.

I looked over to see tears falling down her cheeks.

"I just want him to know his actual mother. I don't feel right having someone else's child call me mom," she sighed and wiped her tears away.

"How about we cross that bridge when we get there?" I asked, "For now lets think of a cute name that he can call you so you wont be uncomfortable."

She smiled and we spent time brainstorming names.

"What about Zozo?" I said.

"That's great. Elijah called me that when we were little."

"Good, now let me show you what Lucas is working on." I pulled out my phone and showed her the sketch he made.

"This is beautiful," she took the phone from me and started to zoom in.

I began to panic. I may or may not have a few pictures of Zoey that she doesn't know about and I'm not trying to seem creepy, she's just so beautiful and I have to capture her perfection.

"Explain," she held up the phone and I raised an eyebrow.

"You've been taking pictures on my phone?" I asked.

She gave me a look and I got nervous.

"I couldn't help it," I reached for the phone but she quickly moved it.

"I might have some of you too but they aren't as flattering." She gave a shy smile.

"Can I see?"

"No. They wouldn't be funny anymore."

"I can't stand you." I joked and then got up and went into her kitchen to raid the refrigerator

She followed and then hopped onto the counter.

"Shut up. You know you love me."

I turned around and walked over to her. I looked up and stared into her deep brown eyes.

"I do actually,"  I said, "I love you Zoey."

Her eyes widened and she began to look around the kitchen to avoid eye contact. I could feel my heart rate speed up. I don't know what just came over me but it felt good to say that out loud. I've known that I love Zoey for a while and I think Cameron just confirmed it for me.

"Cayman are you being serious?" She finally said.

"Absolutely."

••••

"I love you too," The words rolled off my tongue with so much ease

"I love you too," The words rolled off my tongue with so much ease. I didn't even have to think about it. I'm in love with Cayman and it feels good to say it. I wish it didn't take me. So long to realize it.

Cayman had a huge smile on his face which made me smile.

"Now what?" He asked and I laughed.

"I don't know but I want to take things slow. I'm not ready for a relationship."

"Then we'll just be best friends that love each other."

"I'd like that."

••••
Figured it was about time those two got together. It only took them 8 years and some change.
Are you happy for them?
Don't forget to comment and vote.