9.

I sat in Zoey's living room, helping her pack her stuff for the move tomorrow

I sat in Zoey's living room, helping her pack her stuff for the move tomorrow. She stood in a chair trying to reach a box that sat on top of a book shelf.

She looked inside the box and smiled.

"Look what I've got."

She opened the box and held up a thick stack of papers.

"Are those what I think they are?" I asked.

"They are."

During the first few years of college, Zoey would write me letters about random things and I would draw pictures for her.

She held a piece of paper that looked like it had been crumpled up. She read over it and started to laugh.

"What's so funny?" I asked then snatched the paper from her and read it.

Dear Cayman,

I hope you're having fun being an idiot. I honestly can't stand you. When I see you we're fighting. We made an agreement to write each other back and you haven't responded in two weeks. If you don't send something you can consider this friendship over.

Love,
Zoey
P.S. I'm going to get Keith to beat you up dummy.

I turned the paper around and laughed when I saw the giant middle finger that I drew.

I remember during our sophomore year I stopped writing back to Zoey but it wasn't intentional. I kept forgetting because I was spending so much time with my girlfriend at the time.

After that I didn't hear from Zoey for the rest of the year and she gave me the silent treatment when we came home for the holidays.

She continued to dig through the box and we laughed at the all the stuff we sent back and forth.

"Cayman remember this?" She pulled out the notebook that I gave her the day I left for school.

"Of course I do." I reached for the book and she quickly pulled it close to her.

"You can't read what's in here."

"Why not?"

"Because it's personal stuff dummy."

I rolled my eyes at her when she opened the book and started to smile.

"Come on Zoey," I sighed, "I'm the one who gave you the book."

"Do you remember what happened the day you gave me the book?"

She still held the book in front of her face.

"You kissed me."

She put the book down and her cheeks were light red.

"No, you kissed me."

"Zoey, you kissed me and then I kissed back," she rolled her eyes, "I think I would know."

"Your memory must be a little fuzzy."

Are we seriously arguing over who kissed who? I can't deal with this girl sometimes. She's so stubborn.

"Then refresh my memory," I said while leaning towards her face.

Her eyes widened as I got closer. I lightly grabbed her chin and tilted her head up. My heart started to beat quickly. Her eyes darted from my eyes to my lips.

I softly placed my lips on hers and gave her a kiss. I felt like I was seventeen sitting in Zoey's backyard again.