8.

I just got off the phone with a realtor and I've decided to sale the house

I just got off the phone with a realtor and I've decided to sale the house. This is the first step to leaving Rashad in the past. The house is in my name anyway since he has bad credit and couldn't get a loan in the first place.

I'm just ready for a new start. Janelle and Cayman are going to help me look for a new apartment today. I'm actually kind of excited. I haven't had my own space in about four years.

I walked around the house gathering everything Rashad left behind. Part of me wants to set it all on fire but I'm not.

I still don't understand what happened. We've been together for so long and he's just now realizing that I don't want to be in a traditional relationship. We've even talked about the possibility of not having kids at all and he said he was fine with it. It's not that I don't want to have kids, I'm just fine either way.

•••

"I like this one," Janelle said.

"You like all of them," I said.

This is the third apartment we've looked at and I just don't care for any of them, unlike Janelle.

"Zo you're being way too picky right now. Remember this is all temporary." Cayman chimed in while holding Cameron.

I rolled my eyes at both of them.

"I'm not going to settle for anything but I did like the first place we saw."

"Good now we can go eat. I'm starving." Janelle said.

After getting more information from the realtor, we all left and headed to a restaurant.

"I'm so excited that you're moving and I get to decorate the place." Janelle cheered.

"Yeah, and I'll paint some pieces for those walls."

We ate and made small talk until Cameron started to fuss. I grabbed him from Cayman and started to rock him to sleep. He has become my little buddy except for when he poops. Then I pass him right back to Cayman.

"You're going to stop stealing my baby," he said.

"Where's his mom?" Janelle asked and I kicked her under the table.

That girl does not know how to mind her business.

"I have no idea where she is," he clenched his jaw tightly, "I haven't seen her in a month."

What kind of mother leaves her kid for a month?

"I'm trying to get full custody of him."

"Well then it's your lucky day. Janelle is a family lawyer." I told him.

"For real?" He smiled and his eyes widened, "I thought y'all were murder lawyers."

We both laughed.

"I'm a criminal defense lawyer dummy, Janelle is like my assistant and she owns her own firm that specializes in family issues."

Me and Janelle have known each other since college and we made a pledge to always help each other out on cases and stuff. We both interned at a criminal defense firm and she hated it but I loved it.

There's so many people who are accused of crimes they didn't commit but they're found guilty because they can't afford a decent lawyer.

"So y'all have money?" He questioned.

"Absolutely not." Janelle said and I couldn't hold in my laugh.

"You're lying." He shook his head.

"Nope I'm still paying my student loans." I said.

"That's crazy." He said.