24.

"In closing, I ask that the jury fully take all of the evidence into consideration as they come up with a verdict that could change this young man's life

"In closing, I ask that the jury fully take all of the evidence into consideration as they come up with a verdict that could change this young man's life. It's very clear that race is playing a huge role in the charged against Mr. Smith. A black man in a hoodie should not mean a guilty verdict. Christian was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Because of the color of his skin, he is fighting for is freedom and that is not alright. Too often we have watched black men, who are innocent, go to jail over race rather than evidence. Thank you."

I finished my closing statement then sat next to Christian. The judge dismissed the jury to deliberate and all I could do was hope that white guilt would help us get a not guilty verdict.

Finally, after hours passed and I was on edge, praying for this to be over, the jury returned. Everyone took a seat except for one white lady.

"We the jury, find the defendant, Christian Smith, not guilty of robbery and assault with a deadly weapon," she said.

••••

"Guess who just won their twenty-fifth case," I boasted as I entered Cayman's apartment.

"Congratulations," a voice that wasn't cayman's replied.

I looked In the direction if the voice and saw Amber sitting on the kitchen counter while lighting an incense.

"Hey Amber. What are you doing here?" I asked and hopped on the counter to sit next to her.

"Something happened at the school so he asked me to pick up Cam," she said then turned to face me.

She tilted her head to the side and raised an eyebrow. I began to shift uncomfortably as she stared at me.

"Are you pregnant?" she asked and my eyes widened.

"Absolutely not."

"Are you sure?"

"Amber there's no way I can be pregnant."

"Aren't you two having sex?"

"Yeah but,"

"Then there's a possibility that you're pregnant," she interrupted.

I got off the counter and shook my head.

"What's wrong? You don't want kids?"

"You sound like my mother," I groaned, "I'm fine with or without kids. If I'm supposed to have kids then I will but for right now, I don't want any. Cameron is pretty much my son anyway."

"The time for kids may be coming sooner than later Zo bunny. I had this same feeling right before Cayman told me Michelle was pregnant."

I rolled my eyes.

"Let's talk about something else," I suggested.

"Tell me about court today while I fix us some tea."

••••

Amber left a few hours ago and left about a gallon of the tea she made. It had a bunch of herbs in it and it tastes really good. I was sipping from my fourth cup while looking over some court documents when Cayman came in looking stressed.

"Hey," he said dryly then sat on the couch.

"What's wrong?" I grabbed my tea and went over to sit next to him.

"Some kids jumped Lucas after school and it was bad. He's in the hospital."

"How did this happen?"

"They've been bullying him for a while and he decided to stand up for himself but it didn't work," he sighed, "I wish he would've told me and I could've done something sooner. Now he's in the hospital with a social worker because no one could get in contact with his parents."

"Don't beat yourself up about it. Maybe we can go see him tomorrow and make sure he's alright."

"What are you drinking?" he asked.

"Some tea your mom made," I said which made Cayman's head shoot up.

"Give me that," he snatched the cup from me and sniffed it.

"Give it back," I reached over him while he held the cup up.

"This is her fertility tea."

"Really?" I rolled my eyes, "When I was talking to her earlier, she kept insisting that I'm pregnant."

"Are you?" he reached over and placed a hand on my stomach.

"What? No!" I yelled and smacked his hand, "Does it work?"

"Well, I have a brother that is 17 years younger than me so I'm going to say yes."

I got up from the couch then went into the kitchen and poured out all the tea. Why did it have to taste so good?

"Your mom is crazy," I returned to the couch.

"I know," he laughed.

••••

don't forget to comment and vote✨

thanks for reading