27.

"Question," I said after pausing the rom-com me and Zoey were watching while snuggled up on the couch for date night

"Answer," she replied.

"Why don't we have cute nicknames for each other like they do?" I pointed to the white couple on the tv.

"I don't know," she shrugged, "My parents call each other by their first names so I've never really thought about calling you anything besides Cayman."

"Tell me about your parents."

Zoey moved closer to me and put her head on my chest.

"My dad wasn't really around because he was in the military for twenty years as an engineer so it has always been my mom, brother, and me. But when he was around he would never leave my mom's side. They're pretty much attached at the hip now that he's retired."

"What does your mom do?" I asked.

"She's a librarian. Why are you asking me about my parents?" she looked up at me with her deep brown eyes that I can't get enough of.

"Just curious," I shrugged.

"How about your parents? I know a lot about Amber but you never talk about your dad," she said and I grew uncomfortable.

I hate that man.

"I have no relationship with him."

"Why?" she turned around and wrapped her arms around me.

"He was an alcoholic and when I was in the ninth grade he hit my mom and she called the police which made everything worse," I paused as memories came rushing back, "I went to live with him because he believed my mom couldn't raise a black boy and she agreed. When I was with him, he'd beat me because he thought I was gay," I said while trying to hold back tears, "Things got really bad so I fought back and he stabbed me with a broken bottle. That's when I ran away and went back to my mom."

Zoey tightened her hold on me and I felt calm.

"Is that why you don't drink now?" she asked and I nodded.

"After you cursed me out in high school, I realized that I had a problem and was becoming just like him."

"Kiss me," she looked up and puckered her lips.

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

I bent down and gently pecked her soft lips. Then she jumped up and ran into her bedroom which made me laugh. Zoey is weird. A few seconds later she reappeared with her hands behind her back.

"I have a surprise for you. I was saving it for your birthday next week but I think you could use a smile right now."

She came over to the couch, sat next to me the slowly opened her hands.

"What the hell!" I jumped when I saw the small turtle in her hands, "Where'd you get a turtle?"

"One of my clients was selling babies and I had to get one. Here," she grabbed my hand and placed the turtle in my palm."

"We just need a tank and he needs a name."

"So this is our turtle?"

"Yes," she smiled, "and I was thinking," she paused, "I know you're going to be busy this summer working on your gallery show and I want to lighten my caseload a bit."

"For what? You love working"

"I know but someone needs to watch Cameron and the turtle needs a 160-gallon tank and neither of us has enough space in our apartments for that."

"Why would you get a turtle if you know we don't have room?" I questioned.

"Because I want us to move in together," she laughed.

My eyes widened and I couldn't contain my smile.

"Really?" I jumped and hugged her. I've been waiting for this.

"Yes," she giggled

••••

something short

don't forget to vote and comment so i can follow you

thanks for reading