15.

It's Cameron's first birthday and I'm obviously more excited than he is

It's Cameron's first birthday and I'm obviously more excited than he is. Everyone on Cayman's side of the family is coming. I'm kind of nervous because I don't know anyone besides his mother. I hope she remembers me. I haven't seen her since I graduated high school.

For the party, we decided to have a cookout at the park. I bought a bunch of fun decorations and stuff. This is going to be the best first birthday ever.

"Is that Zoey?" I heard a deep voice.

Once I turned around, I immediately grew excited.

"Keith!" I yelled and gave him a big hug, "Where's Daniella?" I looked around and he frowned.

"She's on bed rest. The girl has been doing too much and she won't slow down," he sighed and I shook my head.

"That sounds just like her. When's she due?"

"In two weeks hopefully," he smiled.

"I'm definitely going to be there. I can't miss the birth of my child."

"Zoey, do you know how crazy you sound?"

"Shut up and help me set this stuff up."

Soon after, people began to arrive and I was in shock. I forgot Cayman has a white side of his family.

"Why do you have that look on your face?" Cayman interrupted my thoughts.

"Your family is white."

"What did you expect?" he chuckled.

"I don't know. I guess I forgot that you're white."

"Zoey," he laughed, "I'm not white."

"I know. That came out wrong," I could feel my cheeks heating up. I always get nervous around him and say something stupid.

"Come meet everyone and stop being weird."

He grabbed my hand and introduced me to all his cousins, aunts, and uncles. His mom has three sisters and two brothers and they all have so many kids. Cayman's mom came over while holding Cameron and I couldn't help but admire her. She hasn't aged at all. Her blonde her went well past her shoulders and she still wore her dark purple lipstick.

After we hugged, Cameron reached for me so I took him out of her arms.

"I swear I'm a psychic," she smiled, "I always knew my little crocodile and Zo bunny would end up together."

"Mom," Cayman whined and I laughed. At least she remembered me.

"I'm Hashaan," a little boy with a huge afro said then gave me a hug, "Are you the boy my brother always talks about?"

I started to blush.

"Shut up Shaan," Cayman mushed his head.

"So what's the relationship status?" Amber asked.

I looked over at Cayman and watched his face turn red. I'm pretty sure my face was red too. Cayman looked at me then answered.

"We're friends."

"Crocodile are you serious? I've been waiting years for you two to get together. Cameron already thinks she's his mother."

"Mom, calm down. We're working on that."

"Well, yall need to hurry up so I can plan a wedding and baby shower."

This is so awkward. Me and Cayman haven't talked about our relationship since our heart to heart a few weeks ago. I'm honestly happy with where we are.

"Since you aren't Manny's girlfriend, let's go over to the playground and talk," Hashaan said slyly and grabbed my hand.

Everyone laughed. I gave Cameron back to Amber and was pulled away by Hashaan.

••••

"Today was a success," Cayman said after walking out of Cameron's room.

I learned so much about Cayman today. I had no clue that he actually likes country music.

"Yeah, I had fun. I haven't been around that around that many white people since college."

"Same," he said and we both started laughing.

"Your brother is hilarious. He said he doesn't like being around his cousins because they're ignorant."

"He's a weird nine year old. All he does is read autobiographies then act like the person in the book."

"He must be really smart." Cayman nodded.

I began to gather all my things and head home.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"Zoey wait. I want to talk to you about what my mom was saying."

I moved away from the door and went to sit on the couch.

"So what's up?" I asked and began to grow nervous.

He came over and sat on the other end of the couch.

"You're the person who I want to be with. I can see myself with you for the rest of my life," he turned to look at me and then held each of my hands in his, "I want us to be together."

I looked down at my hands in his.

"I want us to be together too," I said and he smiled, "but I'm not going to be your girlfriend."

His smile turned into a frown.

"I feel like I'm too old to be walking around calling you my boyfriend."

He laughed, "I'll just call you my Zoey."

"And I'll call you crocodile."

"No." he gave me a straight face.

"How about Manny?"

"Absolutely not."

••••

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Hopefully you're still reading.

Don't forget to comment and vote