20.

Tonight my parents are coming over and I'm freaking out

Tonight my parents are coming over and I'm freaking out. They are going to meet Cayman for the first time and I don't know what to expect. My mom knows him from when we were younger but my dad never met him. Rashad is the only guy my dad met and he gave him a hard time but eventually warmed up to him. I just don't want my dad to scare Cayman away. I'm finally happy and I don't want to lose this feeling. 

"Will you calm down," Cayman said as he stood behind me and placed his hands on my shoulders. 

"I can't calm down. I really want them to like you."

"And they will," he pecked my lips and then there was a knock at the door. 

I went to open it, then jumped into my parents' arms. I haven't seen them in a while.

"Hey sweetheart," my dad said.

"Mom, dad, this is Cayman," I introduced them once they walked inside. 

"Oh my, Cayman, honey you've grown up so much," my mom smiled, "Look at you," she gave him a hug.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Reed," he held his hand out to my dad who just looked at it.

Cayman pulled his hand back and we walked to the table and began to make our plates.

"So Cayman," my mom said, "What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a high school teacher."

"So you don't make much money," my dad scoffed, "You know, Zoey was going to marry a doctor."

I immediately sunk into my chair and hung my head low.

"Johnathan" my mom plucked him on the ear.

"I'm just saying. Zoey is probably the breadwinner in this relationship. She's used to the finer things that he may not be able to provide her."

"Daddy I don't need anyone to provide me with anything."

"You say that now," he said, "I just don't understand why you'd lower your standards and settle."

"Johnathan that's enough," my mom finally spoke up, "Our daughter is clearly in love. Why are you acting like this?"

"Dianna, look at him. He's covered in tattoos and has a nose piercing. Zoey, I didn't raise you to go after guys like that."

I looked over at Cayman and watched as he clenched his jaw and balled up his fist. 

"Sir, you haven't even taken the time to get to know me. I love Zoey but I'm not going to sit here and let you say these things about me."

"Daddy, I'm going to be with Cayman regardless of what you say," I said and grabbed Cayman's hand.

My dad let out a sigh then got up from the table.

"Zoey, I'm so sorry. I didn't think he was going to act like this," my mom said with a sad look on her face, "Cayman, please don't let him scare you away. Zoey loves you so much. EverytimeI call, all she does is talk about you," she said and I began to blush.

"I'm not going anywhere," Cayman looked over at me and squeezed my hand.

Then my dad came back and sat down.

"You really love my daughter?"

"Absolutely," he said and I began to feel the butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

"Are you going to marry her?"

"Daddy, I don't want to get married," I said and my mother gasped.

"What do you mean you don't want to get married? Zoey, you're 25. What about having a family? Your clock is ticking," she said.

"I don't want kids either," my mom placed a hand on her forehead and began to fan herself.

"Of course I'd love to marry Zoey and have children but I respect her wishes. As long as I'm with her, I'll be fine."

"I don't agree with how you're going about this but I guess it's not my place to chime into your relationship," my dad said, "I can see that you two really love each other so I'm going to mind my business."

Now probably isn't a good time to tell them about Cameron. 

The rest of the dinner was consisted of an awkward silence accompanied by forks tapping on plates. When my parents finally left I let out a huge breath. 

"I'm sorry about my parents," I said after coming out of the bathroom and taking a seat on the bed next to Cayman. 

"Stop apologizing. It's not your fault."

"I know but I still should've stood up for you."

"Zoey I'm a grown man, I can defend myself. I just didn't like how your dad was saying that I'm beneath you," he said, " Does me not making more money bother you?"

I got up and climbed on top of him. I placed a hand on each side of his face and made him look at me.

"Cayman, I'm don't care about money. I'm with you because you're, kind, loving, and funny. You make me smile. You're an amazing artist and a caring teacher.I feel so comfortable around you and you make me feel wanted. Money is nowhere near as important to me as how much I love you. You could lose your job tomorrow and I wouldn't go anywhere."

He smiled and I gave him a kiss.

"I love you too."

••••