12.

"I have some great news

"I have some great news." Cayman smiled. 

I was sitting at his house having dinner because he said he had something important to tell me. 

"Well spit it out."

"I'm going to be a high school art teacher," he said which made me raise an eyebrow.

"Two questions," I said, "One, why would they hire you in the middle of the school year? And, don't you have to be certified to teach?"

He rolled his eyes.

"First of all, my bachelor's is in art history and secondary education. They were hiring because the students drove out the old teacher."

"Doesn't that make you worried?" I asked, "and why are you getting another job?'

"Well, I need another source of income since Cameron is with me full time now and I've always wanted to teach but life happens."

"I'm happy for you but I hope those crazy kids don't try to hurt you." I sighed and he laughed.

"I'll be fine but I do need a favor," he reached over to hold my hand and I rolled my eyes. 

He's trying to butter me up. 

"Boy what?""I have to be at work at 6 and Cameron's daycare doesn't open until 6:30," he let out a loud sigh for dramatics, "I was wondering if I could drop him off with you on my way to work and then you take him to daycare?" he stared at me with pleading eyes. 

He's lucky I like Cameron.

"Okay." I said which made him jump up and give me a hug. 

Weirdo. 

••••

I just dropped Cameron off with Zoey and now I'm on my way to the school

I just dropped Cameron off with Zoey and now I'm on my way to the school. I'm actually pretty nervous. I hope the students aren't as bad as they seem. 

"Good morning Mr. Taylor," the principal, Dr. Thomas, said while leading me to my classroom.

"Good morning."

This school looks extremely old. The ceiling is falling apart, paint is chipping, and there is dust everywhere.

"Here's your classroom and your key," she handed me the key after unlocking the door, "You have planning during third period. The students have a project that they're supposed to be finishing so just have them do that." she walked out and left me to stare at the ugly classroom.

This is not how I imagined an art class to look. There was junk everywhere and no art on the walls. 

After straightening the classroom for a few minutes, students began to come in and I could feel my heart beat speed up. 

"Good morning everyone, I'm Mr. Taylor," I said over the noise and most of them ignored me.

"I was told that you all are finishing up your projects."

"Shut yo ass up!" a short kid with a lisp yelled from the back of the class and my eyes widened. 

The rest of the class started to laugh. 

"You real bold to be talking out loud with a speech impediment." I said back. 

I'm not going to let some ninth grader disrespect me in my own class. 

"Ohhhhh." some students yelled out while others laughed. 

"Settle down," I said, "Now, I want you all to work on finishing up your projects and I'm going to walk around the class to learn everyone's name."

Students got out of their seats to get their projects and I did my best to remember names. The rest of the period went by smoothly aside from some random outbursts. 

"Bye Mr. Taylor." the short kid who's name is Alexander said on his way out. 

This isn't as bad as I thought it would be. 

Second period was way better. These are honor students and they are extremely talented. There's only 15 students and they are all respectful. 

"Mr. Taylor, is it alright if I stay here for lunch to finish?" Lucas asked.

He was much quieter than the rest of his classmates and he sat by himself.

"Yeah that's fine." 

He smiled and returned to his table. 

My stomach started growling and I frowned. I forgot to bring lunch.

There was a light knock on the door and then Zoey peaked her head in. 

"Excuse me, I'm looking for Mr. Taylor." she said and then walked in holding a bag of food and a coffee from my favorite cafe. 

I need to marry this girl right now. 

"I knew you were going to forget to pack lunch." she took a seat at my desk after handing me the food. 

"You're a life saver."

"So how's the first day going."

I filled her in on everything that happened so far while eating.

"Is he a good teacher?" Zoey turned to ask Lucas and he nodded his head. 

"You don't believe in me?" I frowned.

"Of course I do but I still have to make sure."

The bell rang and I sighed. I forgot I have three more classes. Lord help me. 

"I'll see you later." She gave me a hug and left.

"Is that your girlfriend?" Lucas asked.

"No." I laughed. 

"Well maybe you should wipe the drool off your face." he laughed.

"Don't you have class?" I said while pushing him out the door. 

••••