7.

I walked around the showroom greeting people while they admired my work

I walked around the showroom greeting people while they admired my work. Hopefully I'll make some money tonight and meet some curators.

"How much for this?" A soft voice asked.

I turned around and was greeted by a smiling Zoey and her friend Janelle.

"Sorry someone already bought this," she frowned, "But you're welcome to walk around, have some free drinks, and admire my work."

"Come on girl he just said free drinks." Janelle cheered and then dragged Zoey to the bar.

•••

"I'm gathering black artists from around the country for a showcase in California and I'd love to feature you." A lady that I just met told me.

We'd been talking for a while and she really liked my work.

"I'd love to." We exchanged information and she left.

People started leaving the showroom as well. Another successful event.

"Cayman," Janelle came over looking worried, "Can you help me? Zoey had too much to drink and she passed out."

She led me to the bathroom where Zoey was laying on the floor. I picked her up and the strong stench of alcohol filled my nose.

"Cayman?" she slurred out and I nodded.

I carried her to my car and buckled her into the back seat.

"Don't worry, I'll take her. You good to drive?" I asked Janelle.

She nodded and hopped into her car then drove off.

The car ride to my house was filled with Zoey saying random things.

I carried her inside and placed her in the guest room.

"You are my bestest friend dude," Zoey stumbled over her words which caused me to laugh.

"You're my best friend too Zo."

She quickly sat up and tried to pull her shoes off. She was struggling so I went over to help her.

She started crying and her makeup ran down her cheeks. I sat down next to her and rubbed her back.

"I'm an idiot," she cried out and put her head in her hands, "All the signs were there but... but I ignored them."

What is she talking about?

"He never cared about me." she laid in the bed.

"Who?" I asked.

"Get. In." she said and lifted the blanket.

We laid face to face and I stared at her. Her eyes were red and puffy and her cheeks were stained with tears. She still looks beautiful. It hurt me to see her like this. I never would have thought I'd see Zoey drunk like this.

She reached out and ran her fingers down the side of my face. She wasn't wearing her ring. Did that man do something to her?

"I remember when you didn't have a hairy face," she laughed and rubbed my face.

"Promise you'll always be my bestest friend,"

"I promise." I said and she smiled.

"You're going to be my wife someday," She slurred which caught me off guard.

"Wha—"

"Shhh," she placed her hand over my mouth, "go to sleep."

She pulled me towards her and wrapped her arms around me. Then she fell asleep.

I'm confused. This would feel better if she wasn't drunk.

•••

I woke up to Zoey laying on top of me. I tried my best to get up without waking her but she tightened her hold on me.

"Don't go," she said softly.

"But I have to pee."

"Fine."

I went to the bathroom then went back to the room. Zoey wasn't there. I walked into the kitchen and saw her digging in the refrigerator.

"I'm sorry about last night. I don't know what got into me," she said, "I was going to cook you breakfast as a thank you but you don't have any food."

"You don't need to apologize. We're even now." I smiled remembering how she helped me out when I got super drunk in high school.

"Are you alright though? Last night you seemed stressed." I told her about what she said last night.

She sighed and took a seat next to me.

"Rashad said he doesn't want to marry me because I don't want to be a stay at home mom."

"He's the dumbest person in the planet. Don't let him ruin your happiness."

"You're right. I just don't know what to do. He's all I know and we planned our future together," her eyes started to water, "I can't live in that house by myself."

"Don't stress over all that right now."

I pulled her into a hug and listened to her cry. I want to fight that man for hurting her like this. How do you wake up one day and decide that you don't want to get married?

Zoey is the perfect woman. She's educated and has a good job. She's caring and funny. She's beautiful.

She's my ideal woman and I'm not going to let her get away again.