18.

"Ms

"Ms. Reed, your new client is ready," my receptionist informed me.

Seconds later, an older black woman came in with a purple scarf wrapped around her head. Her eyes hung low and the bags underneath them were very visible.

"It's nice to finally meet you," I smiled and reached over my desk to shake her hand, "I'm going to do everything I can to get Christain out of jail and home safely."

She let out a sigh, then a broken smile. She's been going through it. Two nights ago, police raided her house and arrested her son for a gas station robbery the week before. It was an armed robbery and the judge refuses to set bail.

"Thank you so much," a single tear rolled down her cheek, "I just know he's innocent but the public defender was trying to get him to take a plea deal."

That's so common, unfortunately. There are thousands of innocent people in prison because of plea bargains and overworked public defenders. That's why I do what I do at an affordable price for those in need. And I'm pretty good at my job too. Let's just say I have more wins than losses.

"How much is all of this going to cost?" she asked.

"Don't worry about that right now. Our only focus is getting Christian out. I'm going to see him tomorrow to hear his side and we'll go from there."

"You're a lifesaver," she cheered.

We spent a few more minutes going over some documents then she left.

••••

the next day

After signing in and being searched, I went into a room where Christian sat wearing a dingy orange jumpsuit. He had a long scratch below his eye and a busted lip. I took a seat in front of him and smiled.

"I'm your new lawyer Zoey Reed. You can call me Zoey," I shook his hand and he remained silent.

"Christian, I need you to tell me everything that happened on March 18, the day the gas station was robbed."

He began to shift in his seat and fumble with his fingers.

"I didn't do anything," he mumbled.

"I know. That's why I need to know everything that happened that day."

Christian began to loosen up then leaned forward, placing both elbows on the table.

"I was walking home from practice and stopped at the gas station to get a water," he said as I took notes, "I paid for the water then left. A few second later I heard gunshots and started running," he continued, "I swear I'm innocent Zoey. I really don't want to be here. I got into a fight with my cellmate and he said he was going to beat me up every day. I don't know how much longer I can take this," he placed his head in his hands and shortly after, a few tears fell onto the table.