Chapter 8

December 18, 2016

I awoke feeling refreshed and ready to continue my adventure. I entered the Pokémon Center lobby and then headed straight for the café. I needed something to wake me up. I was surprised to find a familiar face already in line.

"Hau!" I said, moving to stand behind him.

Hau turned around and brightened when he saw me. "Hey, Selene! I thought I might see you here. How's it going? Did you defeat the trail?"

I grinned. "See for yourself." I pulled out the z-crystal for him to examine.

Hau gasped. "Whoa! That's so cool! What was it like?"

I chuckled. "Let's get some drinks and I'll tell you all about it."

We both bought a tapu cocoa and then found a table that sat two. I explained the trial to Hau, who kept enthusiastically interrupting me to ask his questions. This time, I did not mind. He was headed to the trial after this, and I wished him luck.

We had just stood up to leave when an irritating voice rang out from behind me:

"There you are, babe. I waited for you last night, but you never showed."

I groaned as I turned around to face the guy who had bothered me the previous way, a cocky grin still plastered on his face. "Just leave me alone already. I told you I'm not interested."

They boy reached out and grabbed my wrist, making me flinch. "Come on, now, if you just give me a chance-"

"She said she's not interested," Hau said form beside me. He had his arms crossed as he glared at the guy.

The guy laughed and continued to hold onto my wrist. "And what are you going to do about it, kid? Go back to playing with your Pokémon and let us have our own fun."

For some reason, the jest irked me. "He's the same age as us." I tried to rip my hand away from him, but he was too strong. His actions were also subtle enough that I knew no one would come to my aid.

The guy yanked me hard, causing me to stumble into his arms. "Age has nothing to do with it. I've seen you around, kid, and clearly I'm more mature-"

"Let her go!" Hau said in a sharp tone while I struggled to get out of the other boy's grasp. I had never seen him look so... angry. Clearly, he was out of practice, for he was not being taken seriously.

"Or what, kid?"

"Or – or I challenge you to a Pokémon battle!"

The guy laughed, passing the unpleasant vibrations onto me. "You want to battle for this girl?"

"Her name is Selene, and she is not a prize to be won. I'll battle for her freedom."

"Fine, but you'll regret it. I'm Matt, and I never lose. We'll battle outside."

I breathed a sigh of relief when he finally let me go. I rubbed my arms to try to get the feel of him off me.

"Are you alright?" Hau whispered to me as we fell into step together, his expression softened with concern. I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. "Don't worry; there's no way I'm going to lose now."

Jake stopped in a field to the left of the Pokémon Center. "Choose your Pokémon," he said with a smirk. "And I didn't catch your name."

Hau narrowed his eyes at him. He stood slightly in front of me, almost protectively. "It's Hau. Feathers, come help me out!"

The Rowlet emerged from the Pokeball and did a little dive in the air. Then he looked back at his trainer and gave a startled expression. He likely had never participated in a serious battle before. I had never seen Hau serious about a Pokémon battle. I hoped he would be all right.