Chapter 22

A/N: To clear up any confusion, I'll occasionally list Selene's Pokémon and her current team.

Selene's Pokémon: Sun the Incineroar, Twitters the Toucannon, Luana the Pikachu, Kiku the Meowth, Helium the Drifblim, Valerie the Shelgon, Michio the Sylveon, Kaipo the Fomantis, Melody the Psyduck, Mander the Salandit, Cuddles the Stufful, Crush the Tirtuoga, Zippo the Charjabug, Yuki the Vulpix

Selene's Team: Michio, Valerie, Zippo, Cuddles, Yuki

January 15, 2017

I dedicated the following day to training for my grand trial. I did hear that the kahuna of Ula'ula Island used dark types, so I made a few changes to my team. I switched out Kiku, Crush, and Twitters for Michio, Cuddles, and Yuki. Then we all spent the day together.

I planned to set out the next morning, but Acerola really wanted to go shopping with me. I ended up agreeing to her request. It was nice to spend some time with another female. I really have met so many different types of people on my journey. I hope we can all continue to be friends.

After shopping we grabbed a quick lunch and then walked back to Aether House, talking and laughing together. Upon arriving at our destination, the positive atmosphere evaporated when we took in the scene before us. The Team Skull admin Plumeria and several grunts stood opposite of Hau, who looked devastated about something.

"Selene!" Hau cried.

"What's going on?" I said in alarm.

Plumeria placed her hands on her hips and frowned at me. "Back so soon, hmm? I wasn't expecting you just yet. It takes these dumb grunts way too long to deal with you kids, so I guess it's my turn now!"

I narrowed my eyes at her. "You're on!"

She battled with her Golbat and Salazzle again, so I chose Zippo and Valerie. While we fought, I wondered when I would ever catch a break from these guys. I could defeat them, but they still took a lot of energy out of me. Still, it felt good to see Plumeria's disappointment when I beat her.

The admin glared at me. "Hmmph. Guess you are pretty tough. Now I understand why my grunts waste so much time battling kids. But if you want us to return the Pokémon, then you'll have to come to us. Alone. The boss is dying to meet you, hmmph! See you at our base in Po Town!"

"Huh? What Pokémon?" But she left without responding. I sighed and turned to Hau. "Are you alright?"

Hau nodded. "Yeah. Sorry... There were too many of them for me to stop..."

I gave him a weak smile. I hated to see him sad. "It's alright. I'm sure you did your best. They obviously tried to come when there wouldn't be many of us here."

He sighed and shook his head. "Battles you can't afford to lose aren't any fun..."

"Let's check on everyone else," Acerola said as she rushed to the entrance of Aether House. Hau and I were hot on her heels.

Once inside, I was relieved to find that Lillie, Nebby, and everyone else appeared to be safe. The Pokémon Team Skull had stolen was the Yungoos belonging to Acerola's little sister. My blood boiled at the very thought of it. Who stole a Pokémon from a young girl?

"Darn it, those numskulls actually did something pretty clever for once!" Acerola said in frustration.

"If we want to get the Pokémon back... then Selene has to go to Po Town... All alone?" Hau said with wide eyes. "With no backup? That's what they said, but...that's not fair!"

"And why go to all that trouble just for a Yungoos?" I said. "It's obviously a trap."

Hau gave me a worried look. "Are you going to go?"