I Trust You, Peter | Peter Parker (TH)

pure angst as requested by booknerd3141 and 6TearsPast33

//

Peter gave it his all to keep his life as Peter Parker separate from his life as Spider-Man. He kept secrets from you, which put the whole relationship in jeopardy, and lied to you again and again - all to keep you safe.

You had no idea he was Spider-Man and that was the way he intended to keep it. He was fortunate enough to have all of your trust, and while he was almost always distant nowadays, you never accused him of being into things he shouldn't be or cheating on you.

He gave you no reason to believe him, and yet you trusted him wholeheartedly.

But on homecoming night, Peter was sure he was going to let you down for the last time. He approached the glass doors, eyes tearfilled, frozen on you as you held Liz and Ned's hands, swaying and laughing to the fast music.

In his head, Peter heard the threat he had received just minutes before walking into the school.

"So don't mess with me because I will kill you and everybody you love," Adrian Toomes warned, his face cold and unforgiving. It did not bother him that he was spitting threats at a kid. "I know you're dating Liz's friend. ___, if I remember correctly." He smiled a little and nodded. "She's a nice girl. It'd be a shame if she had to get all caught up in this, don't you think, Peter?"

Peter gulped. "Please, sir. She doesn't need to be involved-"

"Then don't make me involve her, Peter. Just drop this all, have a good time at the dance, and spend the night with your girlfriend and my daughter and all of your friends. Think wisely, kid. Okay?"

You caught Peter's gaze across the dance floor and dropped their hands, pushing between them and holding out your skirt like a princess. Peter wanted to smile because he loved when you did that, but he couldn't.

"Peter," you said, stopping in front of him, taking his hands. You noticed that his fingers were trembling. "Is something wrong?"

"I have to go," he said.

"What-"

Tears spilling over now, he gripped your hands tight and shook his head, focusing on the floor, shifting his feet. "I'm so sorry, baby, I-" He looked at you. "You deserve so much more than this. I am so sorry."

You were crying. Silent, unstoppable tears slipping down your cheeks and landing on the red dress you'd spent weeks searching for. You let go of one hand and wiped your face, dabbing at the eyeliner clogging up in the corner of your eye.

You sniffed and nodded slowly. "I trust you, Peter," you whispered.

He leaned in, hands moving to the sides of your face, cupping your cheeks as he planted a soft kiss on your red lips. He pulled back and looked into your eyes one last time.

"I'm sorry," he repeated. "I love you, babe-" He dropped you, stepped back and, without thinking twice, ran out the doors and left the school.

                             ...