Chapter 23

"How was work?" Christy asked later that night as I sat on the bar stool looking at a newspaper. 

"Eh, good."

"What are you reading?" She asked as she cracked eggs into a bowl. 

"Apartment ads." I didn't look up. 

"What, Why?" Christy demanded. 

"Because, I can't stay here forever." I informed her. 

"Well, I thought you'd live here till the wedding." Christy sounded sad. 

"No, I need my own place, I am eighteen. It's time I started to take care of myself."

"Oh, when are you going to do for college?" She asked. 

"I start classes tomorrow, I am doing them online." I looked at a condo that had two rooms and very spacious. 

"Really? What are you studying?"

"Criminal Law." I said. 

"Oh. What are you going to do when you get married? Are you going to stay in the apartment?" I nodded. 

"Scarlett, when did you suddenly grow up?" I heard her smile.

"What's that suppose to mean?" i looked up. Her smiled disappeared. "I was just-"

"I had to grown up when I was nine, Christy. Don't forget that."I said returning my eyes to the ads. 

"Jeez, message received." Christy turned away from me. I rolled my eyes, I was too tired to deal with anyone's bullshit. I hadn't heard from Niall yet. 

I stood up and walked upstairs and shut my door. I pulled out my cellphone. 

I dialed Niall, one ring went by, then two more, and then his answering machine picked up. 

"Hey Niall, its me. Scarlett. I was just wanting to tell you that I love you but I can see that you're busy. Don't know with what. Yeah so goodnight. I love you." I hung up and fell back on my bed. 

I missed seeing Niall's happy smile. Hearing his voice. And his laugh. 

Someone knocked on the door. "Come in."

Christy peered in. "Hey kid,"

"I'm sorry for being an ass." I said. She smiled, "It's okay. I need to face the fact you are growing up. Anyway, I am heading to Grandma's for dinner. Wanna come?"

I shook my head,"I have alot to do."

"Alright, well I will leave you money for takeout. Alex and I won't be home till 10 is that okay?" I looked at the clock it was only six.

"Go ahead. Don't mind me' I forced a smile. 

"Alright, have a goodnight."

"You two." I watched her leave.

Five minutes later, the garage opened and closed. 

I tried Niall again. 

"This is Niall, sorry I can't take your call, I'm probably eating or watching movies with my girl. So um, leave a message."

"Hey, its me again. I just want to make sure you're okay. Um, bye." I hung up. 

I dialed Tracey, "Hey,"

"Hey Trace- I-"

"this is Tracey, sorry I can't get to the phone right now. Leave your name and your number and I'll get back to you. Probably not but bye!"

I sighed, "Hey Trace its me. I just wanted to see what you were up to, um call me as soon as you get this bye!" 

Soon an hour flew by and Niall hadn't call nor Tracey. 

Then another, and another. 

I laid back and tried to close my eyes, and suddenly thunder shook the house. 

I scrambled up placing a hand on my heart, "Jesus." I muttered. 

Then the fall of heavy rain drops. I always hated thunder storms. With a passion. Another hour passed by, Christy would be home soon.

Just then the unthinkable happened, the lights went out. I scrambled for the flashlight out of my top drawer of my nightstand. 

My phone went off, I hurried to grab it. "Niall??" I said. 

"No sorry hun. Its me." Chirsty said. 

"Oh. Did the lights go out over there?" i asked. 

"Yes, and the streets are flooding bad kid. Me and Alex are going to have to stay at Grandma's."

"Oh,"

"I'm sorry hun. I tried to leave but the radio advised people to stay off of the roads."

"Its okay, as long as you're safe. That's all that matters." I held the iPhone tighter. 

"You going to be alright? Because I will walk home if I need too."

"No, stay with Alex, she needs you."

"Alright hun. See you tomorrow, love you."

"Love you too." I hung up. And hugged myself. I was terrified, I wish I had my mom. 

*Flashback*

Thunder clapped into the sky. I screamed as the lights went out. Finn and I were coloring. 

"Mommy!!" Finn wailed. I hugged him. My heart felt as if it were going to burst. My parents went on a walk together. 

"Under the table." I helped my crying brother under the giant oak table in our dinning room.

Finn wouldn't stop crying. "Its going to be okay." I hugged him even tighter.

"Where is mommy!" He wailed.

"She is coming, I can feel it."  I told him. I was shaking I wanted to cry but I had to be strong for Finn because I knew that's what it meant to be an older sister. To put on a brave face for your younger siblings. 

The front door burst open. My mom and dad rushed over to us and hugged us.  "Where were you?" I asked them.

"Shh, we're sorry honey." My dad kissed my head. 

"What's happening?" I asked. 

"Just a storm baby." My mom held Finn. 

. . . . 

I walked around the house making sure all of the windows were secured and locked. 

I check all of the doors. The house shook when the thunder sounded again. I instantly dropped to the floor, my body shook with fear. I looked around, I was in the kitchen. I looked around. i imagined Finn running towards me crying. 

My heart twisted as tears weld up in my eyes. Thunder sounded again, this time shaking me to my core. I ran to the dinning room and crawled under the table. 

I sat under the table holding myself, waiting for my mom and dad to burst thought the front door. But they never came. 

No one did.