Matchmakers R Us

Maggie

Here is a piece of advice. When matchmaking two people, try not to screw it up. If you're trying to play matchmaker, make sure you have their best interest at heart. I don't doubt the brothers had good intentions, but they needed a lesson in matchmaking.

We visited an apple orchard as a typical group outing. No biggie. That was when the expedition got screwy. The girls tried to make sure I ended up with Nash alone. So did the brothers. A small wrench got thrown into their plan like a random girl.

*****

Nixon

"Are we set?" Kat asked us.

"Yep, Nash will wait for her. He thinks he's waiting for us to show up," I said.

"Good, because we told her to meet us at the counter," Marcy said.

We stuck our heads around the corner and waited, watching with bated breath.

*****

Maggie

I walked up to the counter to find Nash there. "Hey, did you see the girls?"

"No, my idiot brothers were meeting me here."

"Oh, well, I hope they hurry."

We started talking, waiting for everyone to make their way to us, when a girl said, "Oh, my God, Nash!"

"Hey, Sarah."

The girl walked past me and hugged Nash. "Wow. You look great! How was Europe?"

"It was good."

I glanced around while they talked.

"Oh, Sarah. This is Maggie, who's staying with us."

Sarah and I shook hands.

"How do you know each other?" I asked her.

"Nash and I dated." She beamed.

"Oh."

"So, if you aren't busy, let's have dinner and catch up?"

Right, there was my cue to leave.

*****

Nixon

"What is that idiot doing?" Nathan asked.

"He's talking to another girl," Nolan said.

"Thank you, captain obvious," I said while rolling his eyes.

*****

Maggie

I walked through the orchard. Why did I feel hurt? It's not like anything was happening between Nash and me. Was I expecting something to happen between us? I shook the thought from my head. He's a Gray brother, and the Gray Brothers don't like girls like me.

*****

Nash

"Dinner sounds great. Will Mike be there?"

"Well, duh. Mike is my fiancé." She rolled her eyes.

"Cool. I can't wait to catch up with Mike."

"Bring that girl with you."

"You mean Maggie?"

"Sure!"

"What do you say, Mags?" I noticed Mags gone. "Where did she go?"

"She was here a few minutes ago."

"I'll find her. Call me with the details, Sarah." I walked away from her and found Maggie reaching for an apple. I plucked it off the branch for her.