Sold

Maggie

After our snow day, life returned to normal. Nash and I will have our moment, but I had to worry about other things. I had the pleasure of coming home to the Gray's house and saw a sold sign on top of the for-sale sign.

I frowned. My parents had sold my home with the belongings which I wanted. I entered the house, heading straight to my room.

*****

Nixon

I got out of the car, followed by my brothers.

"Man, as much as we fight, that's shitty," Nathan said.

"I agree. Maggie doesn't deserve this," I said.

We walked inside as Ma met us.

"What's wrong with Maggie?"

"Is Nash home?" I asked her.

"No, he's helping your father at the plant. Why?"

"Look." Nathan pointed to the door.

She walked over and opened the front door. "Sonofabitch!"

"Ma!" The brothers said.

"Oh, please, none of you can act offended. You boys cuss worse than I ever did." She rolled her eyes. "I'll talk to Maggie." She turned and walked upstairs.

*****

Maggie

Someone knocked on my door. "Maggie? It's Pat, Hun. Can I come in?"

"No offense, Pat, but I'm not in the mood to talk."

"Okay, but if you change your mind, come find me." As she left, I sniffled.

*****

Nixon

We met Ma at the bottom of the stairs.

"How is Maggie?" I asked.

"Well, she's upset. I didn't think Maggie's house would have sold so quickly. The housing market hasn't been good."

"Are you calling Dad?" Noah asked.

"No, your father and brother will find out soon enough." She walked past us.

I pulled out his phone.

"What are you doing?" Nathan asked me.

"I'm calling Nash." I found Nash's contact info and hit send. "Nash? We have a problem."

*****

Nash

Dad and I pulled into the driveway and saw the sold sign in front of Mags' house.

"Nix wasn't kidding," I said.

"We had better get inside. Maggie must be heartbroken."

We walked into the house. Dad found Ma as I went to see Mags.

I knocked on her door. "Mags, it's me. Can I come in?"

"Yeah."

I entered her room, closed the door behind me, then took a seat next to her. I wrapped my arms around her as she cried. "Shh, you're okay."

After crying for a few minutes, Mags sniffled. "It wouldn't be bad, but I want my stuff from the house."

"Is that why you're so upset?"

She peeked at me. "Well, yeah. I want my pictures and other items. Personal mementos that you can't replace."

I smiled. "I say that you should have your things."