18 and I ❤️ you

Maggie

After Nolan's drunken escapade, I didn't get to talk to Nash. Nate and Pat had confined us to our rooms for a week. Nolan got a lecture, along with a two-week grounding for his stunt. He's lucky.

We endured solitary confinement in our rooms. Pat and Nate planned my eighteenth birthday. I had to hand it to them. They did enjoy their cake. Any reason to have cake, they did. They threw me a birthday party.

I pondered what Kat said. Was Nash in love with me? Is it possible?

The party was in full swing, and everyone had a splendid time. I like my freedom. It sucks to get stuck in a room on purpose. Nothing says I care about you like getting grounded.

We enjoyed the party. The best part was the gifts. The boys chipped in and gave me a new phone, my friends gave me jewelry, and Nate and Pat gave me clothes. They're typical Mom and Dad gifts. Then came Nash's contribution.

"Happy birthday, Mags." He handed me a small box while sitting next to me on the couch.

"Thanks, Nash." I took the box from him and opened it. Everyone smiled as I pulled off a lid to show a heart-shaped necklace. I held it in my hand. "It's beautiful. Thank you."

"There's more."

He was right. There was a folded piece of paper. I opened it, and it read: I heart you.

"I heart you, too," I said. Yep, I'm oblivious to things.

"Um, Mags, it means I love you."

My head turned toward him. "What?"

He got down on his knees and gazed at me. He took the necklace from my hands and held it. "I had the necklace engraved and wanted you to know my feelings."

I took the necklace from him and turned it over. Engraved in tiny words, I love you. "Then shout it to the world." Yeah, I like a good challenge.

He leaned into me. "I love you."

"Why did you whisper it to me?" Our faces are mere inches from each other.

"Because you are my world."

I smiled and blushed. I leaned towards Nash. "I love you, too." With that, he kissed me.

"Well, it's about damn time!" Nixon said.

"Language!" Pat said.

"Sorry, Ma."

We laughed. Leave it to the Grays to ruin a moment.

A loud banging sound came from outside as we had cake and ice cream. Nate opened the front door. "You gotta be kidding me!"

Pat walked over to him. "Now?"

Why are they yelling? I walked over to them, getting one hell of a surprise. I walked outside as someone pounded on a signpost in my front yard. Then they hung a for sale sign on it.

Great. Not only did my parents dump me, but they put my childhood home up for sale on my birthday. Yep, my parents were outstanding.

"Maggie," Nate said.

I turned around and faced everyone. "Yep, it's official. My parents hate me and leave it to them to ruin my birthday." I walked back inside and ran upstairs.

"Why would they do that?" Noah asked them.

"They're self-centered tools. They don't deserve Maggie," Nate spoke through gritted teeth.

"That poor girl. My heart aches for her," Pat said. "I'll check on her."

Nash stopped her. "Let me." She nodded as he headed upstairs. He walked to my door and knocked, but I didn't answer. He opened the door to see me sitting on my bed. "Mags?"

I sighed as Nash sat next to me. "Why do my parents hate me so much? Am I that bad?"

"No, they're self-centered assholes. They don't see what a great woman their daughter is. When we were kids, I used to think you were the biggest pain in the ass."

"Is this supposed to make me feel better? It doesn't."

"You didn't let me finish." He chuckled. "As we grew up, I noticed how much you had changed. Instead of trying to hang out with us, you did your own thing, and I missed you."

"Is that why you gave me a challenging time?"

"Yes. I was hoping to get your attention. You hadn't shown us attention anymore as you outgrew us, which bothered me. When you turned fifteen, I noticed you more, and my pants tightened more."

I gave him a weird look.

"But I was dating Sarah. So, finding your fifteen-year-old neighbor girl beautiful was unnerving. When Sarah and I broke up, I figured I would ask you out. Then I found out that you liked that tool. Well, I figured it wouldn't happen. So, I backpacked through Europe for a year. I figure the crush I had on the neighbor girl would go away."

"Wait. You had a crush on me? On me?" Okay, his news shocked me.

"Yep, now let me finish."

"Okay. Sorry, you may continue."

"Well, I came home to find a girl sleeping in my bed. Being dark, I didn't realize who it was, but I needed to thank Ma and Dad later. I remember the scent of coconuts from your hair. I like that smell. When I found you in my bed the next morning, I realized I needed to thank Ma and Dad."

I laughed.

"I didn't think you would feel the same way about me. You liked Bryson and had these hopes. It burned me to hear you say his name. Who was I to crush someone's dream?"

I never knew Nash felt this way. I always assumed he hated me, along with his brothers.

"Well, if we're confessing, I have one."

"Oh, yeah? Go on."

"When I was younger, I had a crush on you. Well, you and Nixon, but don't tell Nixon."

"Nope."

"If I bothered you guys enough, you would pay attention to me. As I grew up and figured that would never happen, I moved on. I realized you guys were mean, so I figured it's best to move on. I moved on to liking someone that I shouldn't have. Hindsight is twenty/twenty, I guess. I found I liked you more when we learned about each other."

A smile curled upon his lips. "So, I guess confessing my love to you is for the best?"

"I would say so."

He tapped his finger to his lips. "Hmm."

"What?"

"Oh, nothing." He shrugged.

"Nash, what is it?"

"I thought about how good that sounds."

"What?"

"I love you, Mags. It has a nice roll off the tongue."

"Hmm, let me try. I love you, Nash. Yep, you're right. It has a nice roll off the tongue."

He leaned over and kissed me as we heard a collective "aww." We turned to see everyone standing there.

He got up, holding out his hand. I took it as we walked back downstairs.

"So, you had a crush on me?" Nixon asked me.

"Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking."

"Ouch, that hurts." Nixon placed his hand over his heart.

"I'm sure that you'll survive." I smirked.

Nash took my hand, leading me downstairs.

"Psh, women."

The brothers laughed.

My eighteenth birthday didn't turn out how I had planned. It ended how it should.