First date mishaps

Maggie

I still couldn't believe I was going on a date with Nash. It was weird. I grew up next to him my entire life. He and his brothers used to run over my barbies with their remote-control cars. Now I'm going on a date with him. He was my first kiss. The infamous food fight in the kitchen was when I had my first kiss. I had no clue what I was doing when it happened.

I finished getting ready as Nate gave Nash ground rules.

*****

Nash

"There's no improper touching, roaming hands, or pressure."

"Shouldn't a father encourage their sons to do nasty things with a girl?"

"Yeah, for the most part. It's the first time I'm acting like a father figure to a teen girl." He sat next to me. "I have to tell you, son. It isn't easy to juggle two different kids. I want to give you advice, but I want to protect Maggie."

"It sucks, doesn't it?"

"You have no idea." Dad waved his hand in the air with an expression of helplessness.

*****

Pat

I helped Maggie get ready, and when we finished, we came downstairs. Nash and Nate both stood. "Any advice?" Maggie asked me.

"Yeah, don't get pregnant."

She gave her a weird expression, then walked over to Nash, and they left for their date.

"Well, that went well," Nate said.

*****

Maggie

We walked to the car.

"What was with a weird face?" Nash asked me.

I opened my car door. "I asked your mom for advice."

"And?"

"She said don't get pregnant."

He chuckled as we got into the car. Nash drove to a diner. We hurried inside to find a booth, then scanned the menu.

"You gotta be kidding me?" Bryson stood there. "Can't you eat somewhere else?"

"Well, this place is cheap, and we're hungry? So, no," Nash said.

"What if I don't want to serve you?"

"Then you can get us a manager, you tool." Nash smirked.

"Whatever. What do you want?"

"I'll have a burger, fries, and a chocolate milkshake," I said.

"That sounds good. I'll have the same," Nash said.

"Fine. I'll be right back," Bryson said.

"Oh, and Bryson." Nash stopped him. "Don't even think about spitting in our food or anything else you have planned, or I'll beat the shit out of you."

Bryson's shoulders slumped as he made his way to the kitchen. I chuckled.

Once our food arrived, we talked while eating. Nash and I had a lot in common with similar tastes. It ranged from movies to books to music. He spoke about what it was like to backpack through Europe. He made me smile. We talked about stuff we did as kids. Our childhood was funny.

After we ate, we headed to the movies. I took it easy on Nash and picked an action movie. We found our seats, and I played with the armrest buttons, moving my seat.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm pretending to be Sully from Monsters, Inc." I grinned.

He chuckled. "Okay, it's cute."