Chapter 1

End of March 1990

Amanda

Hannah and I are living at the Lofts at Atlantic Wharf

Hannah and I are living at the Lofts at Atlantic Wharf. It is in the downtown area of Boston. The lofts look like regular apartments. It's not the kind of lofts which include brick walls that you can see inside the apartment. It's a great location for us because it's not too far from the School of Fashion Design which I'll be attending in May. Hannah will be attending the Massachusetts College of the Liberal Arts. She wants to be a teacher. She loved to read so much literature when we were in high school. If you placed a book in front of her she would read it. She mentioned that she wants to teach either at a college or at a high school. She also used to write short stories in high school. Her two choices so far are that she wants to teach either writing courses at a college or teach literature classes in high school. I told her once that it's better if she sticks to the college option. She told me that she wants to get people interested in literature when they're teens. I personally think it's more challenging, but it's her decision overall.

Our rent is $1600, but we will be splitting it. Here's where the financial situation is a bit weird. Hannah's parents come from money. Her father is a criminal defense lawyer and her mom is a psychiatrist. Initially, they were disappointed that she chose to be a teacher. They thought that she would follow in their footsteps. Also, when she was little, Hannah was raised by her maternal grandmother. Her parents were very busy back then with their careers. I'm not saying that they didn't spend time with her at all. It was just not much. So, to make up for the lost time, Hannah's mother had offered to cover our rent. She told Hannah, that when she was a student she was up to her ears in debt from student loans and paying way too much overpriced rent. Even though Hannah's mom doesn't agree with her major, she still wants to help out even if it's just with simply paying our rent. She wanted to repair their relationship. She wants to make up for the years she missed out on with Hannah. It's tough to make up something like that. Her mom even promised that she would visit us on holidays. My parents are both accountants. Maybe it's not the most exciting profession, but they have done well. My childhood was pretty good. We did take vacations. We have been to many cities in California. We have never really been outside of California, but I can't complain. My parents have done the best they can. Hannah eventually gave in. But we did find jobs despite her mom covering our rent. Despite her mom's generous offer of helping us out financially, Hannah was not a stuck up person just because she came from money.

Hannah and I have finally unpacked all of our luggage and we have put all of our things in the apartment. It's been hard to unpack all of our belongings because Hannah and I work different shifts for our jobs. Our apartment was so messy. It was impossible to find the clothes you were looking for because everything was so unorganized. But the items that were easily found were already in their right place. I'm talking about our New Kids on the Block posters. Once Hannah put the posters on the walls of our apartment she said that now we're officially home. That's great and all, but you try to find socks that actually match some mornings. Living with Hannah has sure been interesting. She's definitely not a morning person. I don't mind mornings because I used to work morning shifts at the Merry Go Round and I used to have morning classes at college. Since we moved a month earlier than we had originally planned we have an entire month free which is great because we can explore Boston and get to know the area we are now living in.