Chapter 18

Mid-June

Amanda

Today I was working on my assignment regarding which fashion designer has changed the world of fashion for my class. I've borrowed some books from the public library to help me with my research. The fashion designer I chose for my assignment is Madeline Cheruit.

Madeline Cheruit may not be a household name like Coco Chanel or Elsa Schiaparelli, but that's why I chose her for my assignment

Madeline Cheruit may not be a household name like Coco Chanel or Elsa Schiaparelli, but that's why I chose her for my assignment. She is sometimes underrated in the fashion world. She is an underdog. Madeline Cheruit helped pave the way for female fashion designers. She became one of the first women to control a major French fashion house at the turn of the century. Cheruit got her start working as a dressmaker at Raudnitz & Cie House of Couture in the late 1880s, but her talent was so exceptional that she eventually took over the salon and its more than 100 employees in 1905. She renamed it Cheruit. She helped launch the career of Paul Poiret by supporting his designs. She won praise of Vogue. Also, she was one of the few couture houses that remained open during WWI. Though the house shuttered in 1935, Cheruit's influence in fashion design, and particularly female fashion design can still be felt. In fact, it was Elsa Schiaparelli who took over Cheruit's 98-room studio and salon, which resulted in forever tying the two designers together. She is an interesting fashion designer. The fashion world tends to emphasize big names like Coco Chanel. Madeline Cheruit is pushed to the side sometimes. I personally think she should receive more recognition for her work in the fashion world.

Amanda decided to take a break from her research. She was laying on her bed in her bedroom. She turned on the radio that was beside her bed. It was the same radio that she used to listen to when she was living with her parents. She didn't want to leave it at her parents' house. She found the radio station that she used to listen to when she was in high school. It was the radio station that played love songs from the 1950s to the present.

"That was hour two of the Best Love Songs of All Time. Coming up next will be Brian Hyland's Sealed With A Kiss. Hope you enjoy it." The DJ announced.

This was a bittersweet song.  It made me think of Jordan. It reminded me of how short our time was until he left for tour. We have talked about that we want to continue whatever this is between us. We have admitted how we felt about each other, but being apart for three months could change what will happen to us. I hope he does want to move forward in the relationship. I wonder if he thinks about me.

"Wasn't that a great song? Coming up next is an oldie from the late-70s. Here is Hopelessly Devoted To You by Olivia Newton John." The DJ announced.