Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Johanna's POV

They ran and ran. They knew they needed to get as far away as they could before they could hide. When they had ran for a couple of block they both breathed heavily and they were starting to loose speed.

"In here" Gale said and pulled Johanna into an alley.

"Is it really that wise to be in an alley?" Johanna asked unsure.

Gale looked at her and she could see the fear in his eyes.

"Ok, let's stay hidden" Johanna said determined and they sat down behind some containers.

They tried to catch their breaths.

"Did you recognize any of them? Like the voices?" Johanna asked while peeking towards the street.

"I don't think so, I mean no" Gale said after a moment of thinking.

"Do you have your cell phone on you?" Johanna asked and Gale checked his pockets.

"I'm afraid not" he sighed and shook his head.

Johanna thought for a minute.

"What if we knock on someone's door and ask if we can use theirs? And then we call my mom" she asked Gale but he didn't look so sure about that.

"What if they sees us? Then we won't be able to hide anymore" he said bit his inner cheeks.

Johanna looked at the street again and thought about what Gale had said.

"My mom and dad are probably already looking for us" Johanna thought out loud.

"What makes you think that? I suppose you didn't tell them were you went" Gale said with a sigh.

"No, but I bet Olive told my brother, who told out parents, plus they have a message on my cell phone which I 'dropped' when they found me hiding" Johanna said with a small smile.

She leaned against the container and closed her eyes. She let her left hand touch her head again. It still hurt and she didn't even quite know why. Did they knock her out? Did she trip and fall? Did she bump into something when/if they carried her? She probably would never know.

"Where could they have gone?!" a man's voice asked and Johanna stopped breathing.

She looked at Gale and could see he was holding his breath too.

"Maybe they hid in an alley?" another man's voice said and Johanna could feel her heart rushing.

An "ouch" slipped through the man's mouth and Johanna guessed the first man had slapped the other one's back head.

"Do you really think they're that stupid? It's a daughter of a detective and a writer! And her friend, plus they're probably too scared to think straight, they're still running. Come on" the man said and they could hear footsteps walk away in a hurry.

After a few seconds Johanna let go of a loooooong sigh. She peeked out again and to her relief she couldn't see any of the men.

"Ok, maybe it's the best if we try to find a phone" Gale whispered agreeing to Johanna's previous idea.

A/N:

Sorry for the short chapter, hope you like it!