Nine (Opening Night)

(One month later)(Mandy's POV)

I felt nervous. I knew that there was a crowd in the seats on the other side of the curtains. Chris rubbed my back, my head on his chest. I'm positive he knew how nervous I was. "Just think, tonight, we'll pick up some Chinese takeout and watch movies while Bella stays at my parents' house." He said and kissed my forehead.

~~~

"Breathe." I sang. "This is my street. I smile at the faces I've known all my life. They regard me with pride. And everyone's sweet, they say 'You're going places.' But how do I say that while I was away I had so much to hide? 'Hey guys, it's me. The biggest disappointment you know.'... The kid couldn't hack it, she's back and she's walkin real slow. Welcome home. Just breathe. Just breathe.

"As the radio plays, and forgotten boleros. I think of the days when this city was mine. I remember the praise, 'Hay.Te adoro, te quiero.' The neighborhood waved and said 'Nina be brave, and you're gonna be fine.' And maybe it's me, but it all seems like lifetimes ago. So what do I say to these faces that I used to know? 'Hey, I'm home'?

"Hey...they're not worried about me. They are all counting on me to succeed. I am the one who made it out. The one who always made the grade. But maybe I should've just stayed home. When I was a child I stayed wide awake, climbed to the highest place on every fire escape, restless to climb. I got every scholarship, saved every dollar, the first to go to college and do I tell them why I'm coming home with my eyes on the horizon, just me and GWB asking 'Gee Nina, what'll you be?'

"Straighten the spine. Smile for the neighbors. Everything's fine, everything's cool. The standard reply 'lots of tests, lots of papers.' Smile, wave goodbye and pray to the sky 'Oh god! What will my parents say?' Can I go in there and say, 'I know that I'm letting you down!'?

"Just...breathe!"

The audience clapped. I smiled. I knew I'd be on with Chris next. With Benny's Dispatch. I couldn't wait to be on stage with him.

~~~

"Check one, two, three. Check one, two, three. This is Benny on the dispatch, yo. Atención, yo, attention, it's Benny and I'd like to mention, I'm on the microphone this morning, honk your horn if you want it."

~~~

At the end of the show, Chris and I were wiping tears from our eyes. Then, the curtains opened and it was time for our final bows. Chris and I held hands. Somebody shoved me to the front of the stage. I saw my parents sitting in the audience. I turned to Chris who mouthed 'talk'.

Turning back to the audience, I smiled. "This show has only been seen by you and one other audience. I think that we can make some noise right?" I didn't know what to say. "I am lucky to be up here with these wonderful people who have become my best friends. And thank you so much for coming to see the show. Mom, Dad, I see you two. Stay put after everyone leaves. Thank you!" I ran back to Chris and the curtains closed.

My parents came back stage and I frowned. "Why did you come?" I asked. Mom shook her head.

"We wanted to see you on stage Mandy." Mom said. I didn't speak, but gestured for her to continue. "I'm sorry for being a bitch, fighting for custody. Everything. I'm sorry."

"Will you leave me be and support my relationship with Chris?"

"N...Yes. I will. Just let me back into your life Mandy." I nodded.

"Okay. Okay. I love you Mom, but I also love Chris. Don't make me choose between you two. It will always be Chris and Bella. Unless he fucks up again."

"I promise I won't fuck up again." Chris took my hand and smiled at me. "I love you." I smiled back at him and he kissed my cheek. I melted into him and let myself relish in his scent.

"I love you too Chris."

My phone rang in my purse and I fished it out. It was an unknown number so I pressed end and went back to the conversation. "So, Mandy, we best be going. I love you. Don't get into too much trouble." My mother winked and kissed my cheek. Dad followed suit. I chuckled and looked at Chris.

"Let's go home." He said. I nodded and we walked to the car. Chris drove. "First stop, Chinese food and beer!" We stopped at a Chinese place and got takeout. Then we went to the store to get beer.

Hardly anyone was there, so we kinda goofed off. Chris had me get on his back and ran into the store like that. He ran down the isles until we got to the alcohol. "Champagne or beer?" Chris asked.

"What about red wine? Or white wine?"

"I owe you a bottle of cold champagne!" Chris sang. I was still on his back.

"Okay, we're getting champagne." I told him and he grabbed a bottle. I pointed to the check out lines. "To the cashier!" I giggled. Chris laughed at me and ran there.

The cashier looked at us funny. "Um, why the hell are you so cheerful?"

"We just came from a show." I giggled happily.

"What did you see?"

"Haha, no, we're in the musical. It's called In The Heights."

"Oh, cool! I'm seeing the nine o'clock one tomorrow! Maybe I'll see you two on stage?"

"That you will." I said.

"This is on me." The cashier handed Chris the bottle of champagne.

"We couldn't do that." Chris said and handed the cashier a 20. He smiled at us and we were on our way.

~~~

"Okay, truth or dare!" I said.

"Truth." Karen said. We invited Karen and Lin over. We were all drunk off our asses on champagne.

"Have you ever been rapped at on the street?"

"Um, no."

"Mandy, truth or dare?" Lin asked.

"Dare."

"Kiss Karen for 15 seconds."

I kissed her. For 15 seconds. "That was weird, dude." Karen and I said at the same time. We both cracked up, laughing hysterically on the floor. Chris grabbed me by the waist and kissed me. I kissed back. Then we broke apart.

"Chris, truth or dare?"
Karen asked.

"Truth." Chris said.

"Are you and Mandy dating? And is Bella your kid?"

"Yes and yes. Lin! Truth or dare?" Chris said.

"Truth."

"Do you like anyone right now?"

"Karen." Karen stopped laughing and looked at Lin, eyes wide.

"You what?"

"Karen, I really like you." At that moment, Karen kissed Lin. "Be my girlfriend?"

"Yeah!" And that was that.