Seventeen (Miracles Happen At Strange Times)

(Mandy's POV)

As we left the school after dropping Bella off, I felt what I could only describe as a poke in my stomach. I knew what it was after having Bella. I grabbed Chris' hand and placed it where I had felt the baby. "Mandy, what's going...holy shit! Was that the baby? Oh my god. Was that the first time?" He asked. I nodded. Chris hugged me tightly to him and I hugged back. "Baby, there truly is a baby in your belly. Holy cow. Baby." He pushed me back and held me at arm's length away. Tears streamed from his eyes.

"There's a baby in there. This is really happening. Chris...you're here. With me...god. Thank you for staying." I said, tears of my own fell from my eyes. "I love you."

"I love you too." Chris held me again. We must have looked like a couple of fools, crying outside of an elementary school.

~~~

"Mandy, as much as I'm terrified of telling your parents, we need to tell them." Chris said as we watched a movie on the couch.

"I know." I replied and rested a hand on my tiny baby bump. "And your parents."

"Yeah. Yours are gonna hate me even more."

"No they aren't."

"Yes they are."

I pulled Chris to me by the collar of his shirt and kissed his lips. "No. They. Aren't." I assured him. He kissed me back and I smiled against his lips. "They'll see you've changed for the better and welcome you with open arms." Now of course I was only hoping for that outcome but said it anyway.

"If you say so." We continued to kiss as we sat there, his hands in my hair. He brushed his fingers through it continuously. Our kissing became more rushed and intense. I felt him pull me up so I was sitting straight.

Knowing where this was going, I grabbed his face in my hands and kissed him harder. He lifted off my shirt and then his own. But then, the phone rang. I rushed to the house phone and answered.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Ms Gonzalez, I'm sorry to inform you that your daughter is in critical condition after being hit by a car. It was unfortunately a hit and run. We can only assume that the driver was under the influence." A doctor, I can only assume it's a doctor, says.

"Oh my god. I'm on my way!" I say and throw my shirt back on. "Chris, get your shirt on and get out here! We've gotta go! Now!"

~~~

"Ms Gonzalez, Mr Jackson, Isabella is out of surgery but I don't think she'll survive the night. If I were you, I'd go say goodbye." A nurse said. Tears stung my eyes.

"Okay." Chris said. We followed the doctor back to the room and saw her, laying on a bed, hooked up to so many machines. My heart fell to the bottom of my stomach seeing the little girl I'd carried for nine months and watched grow like this.

"Hi Bella. Mi hija. Wake up baby. Please wake up. For Daddy and me. Baby girl. Por favor. I love you. Daddy loves you." I said. Chris took my hand in his.

~~~

As we sat on the couch, Chris placed his hand on my belly. "No matter what happens, I'll be here. For both of you." He said and kissed my cheek. His words caused tears to flow. "Baby. No. Don't cry. Please don't cry." He took me into a hug and rubbed my back. And when we pulled apart, he placed both hands on my belly, under my shirt and rubbed his thumbs across my skin.

Both my parents rushed in then. Instead of going to Bella, they stood over us. "What is the meaning of that action?!" My mother shouted. "Your daughter could die and you're over here loving each other up! What the hell is your problem!"