Six (History Will Repeat...Sort Of)

(Chris' POV)

I stared at Mandy. She held a pregnancy test. I was slightly terrified. "Is it...positive?" I asked. She looked at me and nodded her head. I opened my arms and she jumped into them, the test dropping to the floor. "What do you want to do? It's your choice."

"I think I want an abortion." She said through her tears. I nodded my head. "Are you sure you're okay with that?"

"Of course. Anything for you." I kissed her lips and squatted down, talking to the unborn baby. "Even though I will never hold you, never see you, I want you to know that this isn't about you. It's about us not being ready." I looked up into Mandy's eyes and she smiled sadly. She lifted her shirt slightly. I kissed her stomach. Then, I stood. Mandy hugged me, tight.

"Maybe we can wait before we decide. Just a little longer." Mandy's lip quivered slightly.

"It's all up to you."

"God I love you." She whispered.

"I love you too."

With that, we walked to the living room. We held hands as we talked. It was noon. Bella was at school. "Can we go for a walk?"

"Of course we can, Mandy."

"Thank you."

~~~

We sat down on a park bench, Mandy's head on my shoulder. I played with her hair gently. When I looked at her, she had a hand on her still flat stomach. I kissed her temple, hoping to ease whatever she felt. "Bésame." She said.

"What?"

"Bésame." I turned to face her, placing both my hands on her cheeks and kissed her. Her lips moved in sync with mine. When I pulled back, she frowned.

"What's wrong, amor?"

"Just hormones. I swear." She said and I closed my eyes and pursed my lips. "You don't believe me, do you?"

"It's not that. It's just...I wish I was there when you were pregnant with Bella. I should have been there to tell you that you didn't look fat, but beautiful. That you would make a great mother. To tell you I love you no matter what. But I was a dick and I'm sorry."

"Chris, love, I'm over that. It was eight years ago. It's over, I forgive you." Those words make my eyes fill with tears.

"I love you Mandy Gonzalez."

"And I you, Chris Jackson." At that moment, Mandy leaned in to kiss me and I heard a shout.

"STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM MY DAUGHTER!" The source was Robin Gonzalez. Mandy's mother. Both Mandy and I stood up.

"Mom, stop. You're gonna cause a scene." Mandy said quietly, but sternly. I looked down at my feet.

"Me? Stop?" Mrs Gonzalez asked.

"Yes, you. I love Chris and you don't get a say in it. God damn. Just go away."

"You sound like a fucking teenager."

"I mean it. I am 30 years old. I can make my own decisions." Mandy's hand went to her stomach. I know she's protecting the baby. Possibly unconsciously, but still.

(Flashback)

"Mandy! I don't know why I cheated. I was a dick and I am so sorry."

"Fuck off Chris." Mandy said. She went to close the door to her apartment but I opened it back up. Her hand flew to her stomach. It surprised me. In the two years we had been together, she'd never done that.

"Please, let me have another chance. Only one more."

"No. Goodbye, Chris."

(Flashback over)

Now I knew why. She was protecting our baby. And she was doing it again. "I don't care if you can make your own decisions, you're making stupid ones."

"You can't talk to Mandy like that." I said, stepping in.

Mrs Gonzalez slapped me. Mandy, I could tell, was gonna blow a fuse. "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU HIT CHRIS! YOU NEED TO LEAVE RIGHT NOW!" She screamed at her mother. Then she turned to me. "Come on Chris, let's go home."

~~~

Together, Mandy and I went to pick up Isabella at school. We walked in and went to the front desk. "Hi. We're here to pick up Isabella Jackson-Gonzalez." I stated.

"I'm glad Bella has her dad back in her life. You're all she talks about." The receptionist said before announcing that Isa had to come to the main office.

When Isa saw me, she started running. I lifted her. "Daddy! Daddy! I drew you today!" She said and showed me a drawing of me. "Mama's there too!" She pointed.

"What are we doing in the picture?" Mandy asked.

"Holding hands. And see me in the way back, I'm finger painting!"

"Fun." Mandy high fived our daughter and we walked out of the school.

"Who wants ice cream?" I asked at random as we drove through town.

"Me! Me!" Bella screamed.

"Why not?" Mandy giggled. A small smile planted itself on my lips as Mandy took my hand.

The feeling in my stomach grew as I watched her sing along with the radio. I was in love. Stealing glances at her, I thought one thing; she couldn't get any more perfect.

When I pulled up to the ice cream place, I carried Bella. Mandy smiled at me. With Bella on my hip, I was able to snake an arm around Mandy's waist. Then, cameras flashed. Voices yelled at us. Mandy shrunk back.

"Mandy! Are you and Chris dating?" Someone asked. Mandy looked up at me and Bella covered her ears.

"Chris, why are you helping Mandy raise her child?" Another asked.

"She's my daughter too. Now leave us alone. You're scaring our kid." We shoved past them. Bella was crying.

"My poor baby." Mandy said, rubbing Bella's arm. "It's okay now. I'm here. Daddy's right here too."

"They were so loud Mama." Bella said.

~~~

At the end of the day, Bella was tired and her wrist hurt. Or so she said. Mandy was shaken up by what happened when we were getting ice cream. It was so obvious she was. I felt unfazed by it. I helped my girls through it and soon, we were past it.

As Mandy and I laid in bed, she turned to me. "I just remembered something..."

"What?"

"I'm pregnant." Fuck. I forgot too.