20

James wakes up, blinking he sees a cold, naked Steve sitting next him, curled up with knees brought to his chest, arms wrapped around his legs and arms buried in his knees.

"Steve?" James asks softly.

Steve looks up slowly, his face wet from crying.

"I'm okay... wipe your tears away and get dressed okay?" James asks gently, not wanting to mess with Steve's crashed mind.

Steve nods silently, unsurely standing up and dressing himself.

James watches him, never knew Steve had so many cuts onto his body and even a scar from a bullet hole into his back. There is a lot James doesn't know about him and same for Steve... he doesn't know much about James but yet he loves him.

"Are you okay?" James asks softly again.

Steve nods.

"You're really silent..." James says worried.

"They told me I'd kill you... that I had killed you... That everything that ever happened to you is my fault." Steve whispers.

"I'm alive, you nothing is your fault." James says.

Steve nods quietly again. Shoving a large hoody onto his body. "You came up the stairs.." Steve says hardly to hear.

"I heard you screaming... I Knew you wouldn't snap out, so I tried to reach you." James says.

"I thought I killed you.." Steve sobs.

"Stevey, I know you would never do that. Even if those words in your head tell you to, you wouldn't do it." James says.

Steve nods. "I need to operate you today." Steve suddenly says.

"Why today..?" James asks stressed.

"I don't think you'll make it till tomorrow.." Steve replies honestly.

James nods.

They look at each other, silently.. a minute passes till James says "I trust you."

"Do you trust me enough to cut you open..? You said you only wanted it if I was mdntally alright." Steve says.

"I trust you can do it, but if there is anything happening inside your head while you do cut me. Tell me. Okay? I can help you snap out of it." James says serious.

Steve nods quietly.

"Promise me." James says.

"I promise." Steve says quietly. He sits down on the bathroom floor next James who still lies onto the ground. "You can trust me." He says as he starts to stroke his friends cheek again.

"good." James says, trying to sit up, making all the fat wobble around and change position. "You can trust me too." James says.

"Thank you." Steve replies.

James hugs him carefully. "You'll be okay"

"so will you." Steve replies hugging back.