1 - intruder

*14 years later*

A L E X

I woke to the sound of thunder and raindrops hitting my window. 3:44 A.M.

I got up and went downstairs. I flipped the switch, but no light came on. Electricity must've gone out. I opened the drawer to find a flashlight. My hand came across one and I switched it on. No light.

Damn batteries... I thought.

I placed the flashlight back and continued to the kitchen. I looked inside the fridge for something to eat.

Oh right, I dont have any food in my fridge. Forgot to buy some. Great thinking, Alex.. I thought while rolling my eyes at myself.

I trudged out of the kitchen and back up the stairs. I passed the window and a figure was moving in the corner of my eye.

I turned my head, confused. Who could be out at this hour at night?

I ran up the stairs to get Kimberly. I burst through the door, but stopped because she was awake. She looked up from her phone with a confused look.

"...Yes?" She asked.

"There's a guy outside the house, I think you should see it," I said breathlessly.

She sighed and started walking out the door.

"Oh wait..." She turned around and grabbed a huge metal bat standing in the corner.

"Alright," she sighed, placing the bat on her shoulder, "let's go."

I let out a soft chuckle and followed her out the door. I led her to the window and just as I suspected, he was still there.

"Oh. Snap," she whispered.

We got a closer look and the figure turned out to be a man. A tall one. He was facing the road so all I could see was his back. All of a sudden, he turned around. His eyes were black as the night sky. He tilted his head to the side and moved his hand into his pocket.

He took out a gun. My heart racing faster than the wind. He started walking to my front door. We ran up the stairs and thought of the best hiding place.

Just as I reached my door, there was a knock.