18 - Who are you?

A L E X

I wiped the remaining tears off my cheeks and ran to the exit of the park. I'm so unbelievebly stupid that I did that to my younger and ONLY brother that I've met only days ago. I kept running to the stoplight and never stopped. I didn't look up to see sign to not cross yet and I was disappointed in myself once again. As a sharp pain shot through my hip, I screamed and flew a few feet until I fell helplessly to the ground. My shoulder was crushed by my body, my hip and leg were probably also broken. I starred at the sky and didn't bother to move. The last thing I saw was Austin and Luke running towards me.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

L U K E

I rushed around the corner with Austin in my arms, yelling at me to run faster. I halted when I saw cars and people surrounding a body on the ground.. I pushed through the mass of people just standing around watching her unconcious body. That helpless body on the ground was Alex.

I put Austin down and placed my hands on Alex's cheeks. My eyes started to sting with tears when I saw Austin's head on his sister's stomach with his tears falling onto her shirt. I looked back at Alex and her face had a few scratches and bruises here and there. Her arm was also under her torso and her legs facing a painful direction. They were broken. I cried as I felt guilty. Why didn't I run after her? I looked up at the people and they were still staring at the three of us.

"Well?!" I screamed. "DId any of you idiots call an ambulance?!"

"I-I did. They're on their way," someone mumbled. I faced the direction of the voice and the man looked exactly like Austin and Alex.

"Who are you?" I questioned while examining his face. He had the same eye color and facial structure as Austin.

"I'm their father," he whispered. My eyes widened. "And I was the one who hit her."

I stood up and my eyes narrowing at the man. "What the hell?! What the fuck is wro-" I was cut off by paramedics shouting and rushing through the crowd. I turned and saw that they were carrying Austin and Alex away into the ambulance.

"Hey! Wait!" I yelled through the honking of taxis and people talking.

One of the paramedics turned as he finished closing the doors of the vehicle and I almost slammed into him. "Watch where you're going, boy. What do you want?" He seethed.

"Let me in, they need me," I said breathlessly. I tried pushing past him, but he only grabbed me by the collar and pulled me back in front of him. Damn, he was strong. I need to start working out.

"And who are you, by any chance?" he narrowed his eyes at me.

"I'm her, uhm," I didn't know what to call myself. I wasn't even her boyfriend, but we were getting there. "I-I'm her boyfriend," I stuttered.

"Oh, uh, sure. Let me get you in," he mumbled after he let go of me.

After he turned around to unlock the doors, I gave myself a mental pat on the back and a sheepish smile took over my face.

"Thanks Edwardo," I smiled and slapped his back as I climbed in.

"It's Robert," he rolled his eyes and slammed the door shut. The vehicle moved slowly as there were still people and cars in the way. I rushed over to Alex's side and grasped her hand. Austin was sitting on a chair on the opposite side with his head leaning against the wall while he glanced at our hands.

I looked at the broken girl below me. She had bandages on her face, tubes on her body, and paramedics scanning her arm, leg and hip.

"Is she going to be okay?" I questioned one of the workers. He glanced at me for a second and went back to examining her arm.

"She fractured her shoulder and broke her right arm and left leg. There is a huge cut on her leg, and she lost a lot of blood. That's why she passed out. She also broke her hip bone, which she may or may not need surgery for. We're not sure yet until we do a complete scan on her body, but she'll be fine," he reassured me.

I inhaled a sharp breath as I looked at her once more. I kissed her forehead and whispered to her. "I love you, Al. Keep fighting for me."

I let go of her hand and walked over to Austin. I placed him on my lap and he nuzzled deeper into my chest.

"Everything's going to be okay," I said softly into his hair.

-----