EIGHT

"He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking."

- LEO TOLSTOY -

~

~

"I thought you were the smart one, Moony!"

Violet cracked open the Ravenclaw common room door, biting her lip. Through the gap she could just see the back of James Potter, his dark hair sticking up messily. Her younger housemate had told her that there were four Gryffindor boys outside asking for her- that could only be Potter, Lupin, Pettigrew and Black.  Her own eyes confirmed this, but she still didn't understand why they wanted to see her. She was under the impression that the only reason the 'marauders' bothered her was because of Potters infatuation with Lily. Maybe that was the reason?

"I don't see you trying." Remus replied to Potter, sighing dramatically.

Violet could just picture him rolling his eyes. Suddenly a sharp push sent her bundling out of the door. James shrieked loudly as the girl flew into him. The heavy oak door slammed shut, but not before Violet caught a flash of Anne's smirking grin.

"Uh, hi." Violet muttered sheepishly, offering a embarrassed wave.

The four Gryffindor boys stared back at her. James grinned lazily in front of her, ruffling his already messy locks. Remus smiled warmly at her, while Peter grinned toothly. When her gaze slid to Sirius, she was dumbfounded by his nervous expression. It quickly turned into a cocky smirk. Violet rolled her eyes, turning away from him.

"What's going on?"

James pushed his glasses up his thin nose, Hazel eyes twinkling mischievously.
"Well we came to speak to you, but the stupid bird wouldn't let us in."

Violet raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms.

"The stupid bird?"

"He means the knocker." Remus said, rubbing the back of his neck, referring to the bronze eagle knocker on the common room door.

Anytime anyone wished to enter the common room, the small bird would omit a riddle. Sometimes they were simple, other times not so much. It was particularly frustrating for Violet and the rest of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team when they return from practise, exhausted and sleepy, to have to answer a riddle.

"What was it today?" She asked Remus, while James huffed.

"Tear off one and scratch its head, What once was red's now black instead,"  Remus spoke, eerily similar to the Ravenclaw knocker.