21

Scanning my way through the shop, I notice a familiar, bright head of orange-red hair bobbing around the aisles.

It was then that I heard 'Ellieeeeee' being screeched towards me and I see the orange head running towards me and pulling me into a hug.

'Clara! Oh my goodness, you look incredible!' I exclaim, ignoring the pain from the tight hug she just give me. Clara was my best friend since birth, basically, and the last time we saw each other was when we left high school. It's a shame we lost touch, because I wish I had Clara witnessing River's life.

'What's going on in your life now then Ells Bells?' She asks, using the childhood nickname from years ago.

'Well I've had a baby!' I breathily laugh, and watch the surprise take over her face.

'What! Ellie, oh my flipping hell! I'm an auntie!' She squeals, pulling me into another hug, gently this time. 'What's the name? Girl or boy? Can I see a picture?' She bombards me with questions.

'She is called River Marie Harris and she's five days old today'. I smile, showing her the first picture I took of her. She's in Mason's arms and was about 20 minutes old. I watch Clara's eyes melt in adoration at the picture before shock takes over them.

'Wait. Who's the daddy?' She asks, surprising me since I thought she'd recognise Mason from the picture.

'Mason'. I answer and realisation hits her face. 'Remember him?'

'Oh my god, as if you two are still together! Cor, I'm still as lonely as ever, but I have my puppies' she laughs, her white teeth practically blinding me. 'So, when can I meet my niece?'

'Well when are you free? I have no plans today if you haven't?'

'Yay! Why don't we finish up here then grab a coffee and head to your house?' She asks, and I agree. We finish up our shop and since Clara walked here, we climb into my black land-rover. 'Check out the car girl!' She says, running a finger over the white leather seats.

The rest of the drive is spent catching up about life and we finally get back to my house. Mason greets us, topless with River against his chest. He looks at Clara with surprise in his eyes before letting us both in. He hands River to me, and I guide Clara into the living room, which Mason has cleaned. He's a good egg.

'Oh Ells Bells!' She pouts, tears in her eyes. 'I'm so proud of you babe!'

I smile at her before going to unbutton my shirt. 'Wait, you don't mind do you?' I check, waiting to feed the hungry baby in my arms.

'No girl, do your thing! Then auntie Clara can have cuddles with her little boo boo!' I laugh in reply and let River latch on to me. While I'm attending to my baby, Mason makes us all some food since I haven't ate all morning.

'Clara, I think River wants her auntie' I laugh, gazing down at my wide awake baby. She was too young to understand anything going on at the minute, so didn't do much when Clara took her out of my arms. She coos soft words to her, gently rocking her and before I know it River is fast asleep in her new aunties arms.

'She must like you' I laugh, showing her where to put her while we eat.