PART 1 - THE INVITATION

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the Votes & Comments. Just a note, this FF will mainly be in English, please do let me know if the dialogs & emotions are not conveyed properly I will write it in Hindi then. Without further adieu here's the First part.

As the day progressed Dev got busy with his work, he had to wind up a lot of work before heading for Misha's home in the evening. As he was rummaging through the files, a photo tumbled out from one of the files. One look at the photo and his thoughts went back to the day it was taken. A day when he was the happiest, for it was their wedding photo and as he kept looking at it all the memories flooded back, his realization of love for her, the confession, their first break-up, gate-crashing her engagement, their reconciliation, the marriage. His chain of thoughts was broken by the sound of his phone ring. It displayed "Sonakshi". He hurriedly picked up the call.

"Hi Sonakshi" he tried to sound cheerful

"Hi Dev, Good time to speak?" she replied

"Oh Yes, absolutely Please tell me" said Dev, though he could make out what made her call still he wanted to hear it from her.

"Auntyji had called, she has invited the whole family for Dinner tomorrow at Ishwari niwas for expressing her gratitude for what I had done" she replied waiting for his reaction

"Oh! That's Nice, so what did you say?" asked Dev, trying to sound casual though he knew it was upon his insistence that his mother had invited the Bose family

"Well, I did not have any reason to not accept it, but Baba is not that keen" answered Sonakshi sounding sceptical

"Hmm, I understand if you don't mind can I speak to Uncle once" asked Dev hoping that his Ex Father-in law would speak

"Sure, just a moment" said a surprised Sonakshi as she headed towards her Baba to give the phone

"Baba, Dev wants to speak to you" handing him the phone

"What does he want to speak Sona, I have already said that I am not going to that house" replied an agitated Bijoy

"Bijoy, just speak to him once and then you can decide what to do" admonished Asha

Bijoy wanted to get done with this quickly, taking the phone from Sonakshi he curtly said, "Dev I have already told Sona that I am not going to come to that house, please don't waste your as well as my time convincing me"

Dev calmly replied, "Mr. Bose I completely understand and respect your decision, I just want to say that Maa has invited you all to express her gratitude for the help Sonakshi has provided in the past few days, please reconsider your decision if possible"

The mention of Ishwari seemed to snap all the restraint that Bijoy had, with a raising voice he said "Dev, don't think I do not understand what you & your family are trying to do, I have seen this all before. Sona and Soha might fall for your sweet talks but not me." Sonakshi and Asha looked at each other knowing that the situation was getting out of hand. Just as Sonakshi reached out to take the phone Asha held her back gesturing that let both the men sort it out between them.

"Mr. Bose, As I have already said I respect your decision, all I can say is please think about it for Suhana's happiness. She would be very happy & thrilled to see all her grandparents together, if not for anything else please come for her sake" Dev replied almost pleadingly hoping that the mention of Suhana would make Bijoy reconsider his decision.

The mention of Soha did have the effect on Bijoy that Dev had hoped for, retaining his composure he replied, "Alright Dev, I will come" and handed over the phone to a surprised Sonakshi as Asha looked on with a slight smile.

Before Sonakshi could ask Dev about how did he make Bijoy change his decision Dev asked "Sonakshi, it would be nice if you could bring Jatin along as well. I know in the past few days he has helped you a lot"

Sonakshi smiled and said, "Why don't you invite him? I am sure he will be happy to come"

Dev smiled ruefully "Sonakshi after the way I have treated him all these days do you think he will accept my invite if I call"

"As far as I know my friend, he does not bother about any of the harsh words you have said Dev nor does he takes those on to his heart, I trust him on that" replied Sonakshi

As Sonakshi said those words, a sharp pain pierced Dev's heart. He knew he could never gain that trust nor could become that friend to Sonakshi whom she could trust. Even during their relationship, it was always Sonakshi who would advise him as a friend but the opposite rarely happened.

Sonakshi continued "Anyways, don't worry I will get him along, Anything else?"

"No and thanks for accepting Maa's invite, also if you want you can take Suhana along with you to Bose Mansion after the Dinner tomorrow" said Dev

"But Auntyji has just returned from hospital, don't you want her to spend some time with Soha" she asked surprised

"Well it's nothing like that, just that Suhana has already stayed here for couple of weeks and I understand according to our agreement she needs to spend time at Bose house as well" replied Dev, though in his heart he wanted to stay with Suhana for ever if possible but he knew it would be selfish of him to do that.

As soon as Dev said that Sonakshi sensed that something was not right, this was so unlike the Dev she knew. First his request to talk to her father to convince him for the Dinner and now willingly allowing her to take Soha along with her to Bose house. She knew how much Dev wanted to spend time with Soha that he let go a huge deal for that.

"Sonakshi, you there?" asked Dev not hearing any reply from her.

"Huh, yes" she replied coming out of her thoughts. "Dev, is everything alright?" she asked carefully

"Yes, why do you ask?" he said a bit puzzled.

"No, nothing anyways I need to get going. Will, meet you tomorrow for the Dinner, bye" she said

"Sure, bye and take care" as he hung up.

Before she could ask Bijoy what made him change his decision he said, "I am going there for Soha, I don't want to spoil her happiness" as it dawned to both Asha and Sonakshi what Dev might have said to convince Bijoy.

As Sonakshi headed to her room, her thoughts went back to the conversation that she just had with Dev. The Dev she knew always conveyed emotions through his voice whether it be happiness, sadness or anger but the Dev she talked to just now seemed to be emotionless, it was as if he was trying to mask his emotions. Along with it his willingness to talk to her father whom he would normally avoid was something she could not understand. But what stumped her was that he had asked her to take Soha along with her, knowing how possessive he was about their daughter this was something she could not fathom. Brushing her thoughts aside thinking that he might be stressed because of his mother's health she resumed her work. Little did she know that a storm was brewing which would change their lives.

Done, Since I am quite new to writing stories I am not setting any target for the number of votes but please do read it & vote if you like it. Also do give your views/thoughts on the story & the writing, it is motivating & makes the writer happy :) :)