The One Where the Rats Strike Back

Zadie's POV:

It was the first day I wasn't going to the Davenport's since we first moved here. Currently, I was sitting with my little sisters as they watched TV and I caught up on some schoolwork. As much as I hate school, it's a good distraction.

"Why are you not at the Davenport's, Zadie?" Wren asked me.

Alex looked to me to see if I had an answer. "Uh, well, I just realized I haven't been spending much time here lately, and wanted to hang out with you guys. Is that really so hard to believe?"

"Yeah, it is." She said, causing me to roll my eyes.

"I saw him at the store, too."

"Who?" I asked, acting as if I didn't know.

"I'm not dumb. I know Brad is in town and I know you're scared Zadie."

"Pfft, what?? No way."

"Zadie." Wren said, her eyes piercing into mine.

"Fine. He is in town, but that doesn't mean he knows we are. He's just a guy, and he's not gonna scare us the way he used to. We're not gonna live in fear like we did for that one month. Life is good here, guys, and there's no need to worry." As if perfect timing, the doorbell rang, spooking us all. I went to the door, and saw two packages. One had Amazon taping, and the other didn't. I went to the kitchen and got a pocket knife and cut open the one that wasn't from Amazon, and was kinda suspicious. My mind drifted to the worst as I pulled by the layers of cardboard just to find...a new printer. My mom must have ordered it. Great, now I'm becoming paranoid just like I used to be. Alex handed my the Amazon taped box and I opened it without hesitation. When I puled back the cardboard, the box wreaked and there was something in a Ziploc bag sitting cold, and dead in the middle of the box. I gasped and covered my mouth.

"What? What is it?" Alex asked, as she and Wren ran over and peered into the box. They screamed too. "What is that?"

"I'm not sure, but there's a note." I picked up the short card and read it. "Fooled you with the tape, huh? Don't worry it's just a pig's heart, but I hope it shatters yours. I know you're scared, but there's no reason to be. It will all be over soon. Your mother knows she still has to pay me. I'll drop by soon. Toodles, Brad."

"He knows where we live." Alex said.

"I'm calling the police." I said, as I grabbed my iPhone.

"Stop! You know he'll find out, Zadie. He will." Alex's voice quivered. This was the most scared I'd seen her in years.

"Okay, I won't." I sighed, as I put down my phone.

-In the Lab-

Delta's POV:

I got to the Davenport's and Zadie wasn't there. She was probably sleeping in...again. Adam, Bree, and Chase had gone on a mission so I was waiting with Davenport in the lab. Without Zadie, I was so bored, I was spinning on the swivel chair for fun.

Then, the three walked into the lab to be greeted by Davenport. "Another successful mission! Sure you guys blew a lot of stuff up, but hey, that's the city's problem now."

"Ugh, I am so exhausted. I can't wait to just stand up, and go to sleep." Bree stated.

"Well, you guys get your rest. My big NASA presentation is this week, and we still have to complete training on my gravity propulsion belt."

"Sounds fancy." I mumbled.

"I don't know what that is, but it sounds like it does a lot more than hold up my pants." Leo remarked.