Rescue

STEF POV

8 1/2 years old

"Ray, you so silly. Silly man, you are!" I heard my mother say as she was sitting next to one of her man friends on the couch as I played with one of my barbies watching TV.

Seeing her kissing his cheek, it grossed me out as he had his hand wrapped around her, and they both were drinking and smoking. "So you taking me out tonight or what? Or we gonna sit in here all day."

"Where do you wanna go. Sizzler? Steak and Shake?"

"We went there the other day. I want to go someplace new baby."

"MM. You picky woman."

"I'm not. You tell your wife that shit?" She asked as I heard him laugh, and my eyes went back to the TV even if I couldn't help staring.

"Why do you have to mention my wife? Ruin the evening like that, Sharon."

"Because you won't leave her."

"I told you I'll leave her. Relax. I just need to handle some things."

"MM. You said that last month."

"WEll I'm saying it again. I told you I'll leave her, but I can't just up and leave from one day to the next. She will ass rape me for child support, too."

Glancing back at them, my mother puffed on her cigarette as her eyes looked to mine, and I quickly looked away.

"I can't get no child support for that one. Her father is a lazy piece of shit. She will probably end up the same way. Always cost me something and never give nothing back. Most useless thing ever."

"Where's her father?" He asked, cooking at me.

"Fuck if I know. Somewhere. Anyway we going? Sizzler is fine and the casino. I wanna play some numbers."

"Yeah. I'll wait in the car but don't take to long getting ready damm near freezing out there." He said getting up and throwing his beer in the garbage and heading outside.

Watching my mother go into the bedroom I followed behind trying not to trip over the usual mess our house was in as she started to change her clothes and I held onto my barbie.

"Can I go to sizzler too mama?"

"Hell no. Nobody wants to take you anywhere. Besides it's a date. And that means me and Ray only. We got things to do. Grown people things. You stay here and watch TV."

"I can eat at another table."

"You got money?"

"No. But I don't have to eat nothing." I begged walking closer to her and watching her slide on her tight leggings and top. "Please mama?"

"No! I ain't losing another man on account of you. You hear me! You keep asking me and I'm going to pop your mouth." Pushing past me she put her cigarette out and grabbed her purse and heels.

"Can you take me to see Santa?"

"You have lost it today girl. You have."

"Can Aunt Fran take me to see him?"

"Stefanie if you don't shut the fuck up. I swear!There isn't no Santa.Never was and never will be!" Letting out a sigh she shook her head at me. "We will be back late. Eat one of the TV dinners and stop your foolishness."

Hearing the front door close I ran to the front window watching them drive off. I wished my mother would take me just once out to sizzler or something. Anything.

Feeling my stomach growl I headed into the kitchen for a TV dinner. But the freezer and fridge were empty except for a jar of peanut butter in one of the cabinets. Not feeling up to eating that I rested on the couch and pulled the blanket over me falling asleep.