Chapter 13// Secrets

Chapter 13: Secrets

After the first day of the tournament, the guys and I decided to go back to my place to talk and strategise. Heather also tagged along, never drifting too far from Brendan's side. I want to be happy for them, but my attention is too preoccupied with Hunter's distant gaze. After our little talk during the last event, he disappeared for half an hour before reappearing to meet us in the parking lot. The second I spotted him walking out of the school doors I noticed that his eyes were locked firmly on a piece of paper in his hand. The corners of the paper were tinged with pink, small roses decorating the edges. At first I had assumed that he had received a letter from a secret admirer, however now I am beginning to think differently.

As we are walking up my drive I sneak up close to Hunter's side.

"Are you ok?" I ask quietly, not wanting to draw the others' attention just in case he does not want it.

He nods quietly, his jaw pressed firmly making his lips form a tight line.

Once we have all gathered in the living room, I notice that everyone else seems to have acknowledged Hunter's strange attitude as well.

"Uh, I've got to go call my mum" Quietly I begin to walk upstairs to my room, for a little privacy.

Yet, it seems more like I'm the one giving them privacy.

My phone conversation with my mother is short, with me briefly explaining that I had friends over.

"Mum, I have a few friends over, sorry I didn't check with you first."

"Oh that's alright honey" she says warmly through the phone, "you know, if any of these friends happen to be boys, I am more than happy to work late tonight."

I choke, taking in the full meaning of her words. Sensing her smirk, I am immediately grateful that she isn't here to see the dark shade of pink that is currently flooding my cheeks.

"Oh- um- no, that's ok. You can come home whenever" I reply awkwardly.

My eyes remain as wide as golf balls whilst I pull away to hang up, her cheeky laughter still echoing from the phone. I have to wipe my embarrassed expression from my face as I make my way back down the stairs. However, the gang seems to be too busy chatting in hushed whispers over the note I had noticed earlier, to spot me coming down.

"-if she's gone as far as to threaten her then we know that this tournament is clearly more than a game" Hunter whispers.

"But why would she threaten-"

Suddenly noticing my presence, Logan stops mid-sentence.

"Violet" Hunter acknowledges me.

I swiftly regain my composure, walking towards them. Once seated I notice that they all seem to be looking between one another in a silent conversation, meeting everyone's gaze except mine.

"So... that went well" Ethan says awkwardly.

"It isn't that bad" Heather smiles reassuringly.

"Yes. It is" Logan grumbles lowly towards the others, as though trying to exclude me.

"What the hell are you guys talking about?! We're winning!" I say victoriously.

Everyone turns to me with solemn expressions.

"We may be winning now, but we managed to piss off Bella," Brendan says, his gaze remaining on a spot of dirt on the ground.

His eyes are locked on it so firmly that it looks as though that single spot contains all of the evil in the world.

"Brendan?" Heather asks, obviously noticing his withdrawn state.