Chapter 24~ The pawn

" Where am I? These walls? In a lockup?  . . . God. . . Can you hear me? Why are you playing tricks with my benevolently pathetic life? "

I was looking at my gruesome state, stains marked on my face, at the small mirror hanging at the side of the jail. Two constables brought food inside which was a thin gravy of boiled potato and two slices of dried bread. They stomped it in front of me and ordered me to eat.

" Why am I here? What have I done? I was just there to meet my kids... "

' Your kids? Hahahahahahaha! You bloody ba****. They are not your kids anymore. Your ex has legally taken their custody, as per your own consent. Look at your thumb. '

My thumb was still inked, my awfulness in regard with my destiny, working hand in hand at it's best.

' Eat it if you feel growling. Have a pleasant night. '

" Allah will not spare the one who did this to me. "

' Hahahahahaha ' I heard some footsteps nearing the bar, and soon the constables followed outside signalling someone to enter the place where I was kept.

****

Soon the constables left as soon as they heard my footsteps approaching. They bowed a little in my respect, and I signalled with my hands waving to leave.

' Hahahahaha '

He was there sitting, staring at the food in front of him. My brother. My enemy.

' Do you think anyone else being responsible for all this other than me? '

I put my hand inside the jail, holding the steel bars, shaking them furiously,

' Answer me damn it! Do you think I'll let you mess with me and spoil my life? '

The disturbing high pitch sound of the bars, made him look up with tearful eyes... That's what I wanted to see!

My enemy at his knees!

My enemy in his tears!

" Azfar... I never thought we'd meet like this... "

' Well, hahaha. Neither did I. But you had to meet me, didn't you? You had severely hurted my love... My Bellarina... '

" She still loves me... Why did she demand her twins back if she cared about you? Children are a symbol of love between a man and a woman. And I was her man. They're my children whom she was craving for.  "

Shaitan was playing stronger than I was pretending to be, I couldn't slip away in his betrayal. It was true that Zahra wanted her twins to be safe, to be in her arms... But did that mean anything apart from motherhood?

From her maternal love?

Noo... Noo.. Noo...

" Hahahaha... You'll never be able to love her the way I did. Did she allow you to touch her? "

He again threw another tantrum at me, which had striked right in place. Yet I was feeling strange. I was doubtful towards her, or is it that my love is not so stronger as his? As he declares to be...

" Your silence is my win Azfar Rehaan. "

' Sigh. Time has developed you to be so impatient. Why don't you close your rubbish mouth for few seconds before I speak. '

I had to maintain my demeanor though with his every strike, I was breaking a little more inside, I could hear Zahra's warning ringing in my ears.

He'll try to part our ways, but I belong to you and you belong to me... That's how my earlier marriage failed... That's how I met you...