Living the Civilian Life

Castiel

"Morning."

You glanced up from your computer screen and smiled as warmly as you could that early in the morning.

"Right back at you."

You eyed Castiel up then let out a low whistle.

"Rough morning?"

"To put it lightly, Claire is staying with me this week and it's been difficult."

"It's only Tuesday," you laughed.

"I know, that's the problem," he sighed, "she's becoming a bit difficult, but I'm her dad and it's my problem to settle her down again.

You nodded slowly, looking back at your screen.

It was hard watching your co-worker go through such a hard time.

He was a single father to a teenage girl who could have some serious attitude problems and while trying to deal with that, he also had to work a slow and monotonous cubicle job helping the ungrateful public until a better opportunity for him came up.

He was working towards a better future that you truly believed he deserved.

So you became something akin to his personal cheerleader, always being there to support him and offer advice when he needed help.

This had led to a wonderful and close friendship, once even a little bit more at one of the staff parties.

That was an intimate moment together that you never wished to forget, yet always worried that he regretted.

You'd both had a drink each, but neither of you were even close to tipsy and were fully in control of your actions and you always rationalised with yourself that if Castiel regretted what happened then he'd talk to you about it, or at least distance himself.

But he remained as close as ever and you didn't want to jeopardise your relationship or chance making things awkward were you to bring it up.

So you continued to work right beside him, giving him the pep talks he needed until one of you built up the courage to make the final step.

Crowley:

You pushed his arm up and told him to hold it there, or at least attempted to without the pins you were holding in your mouth pricking your tongue.

He let out a slight grumble but did as he was instructed, waiting for you to continue fiddling with the broken material on his side.

"How long will this take?" He asked impatiently.

"Not long if you stop your whining," you laughed lightly, sliding some of the pins in place to hold the hole together. "I don't know what you do to these suits to need them fixing so often."

"I am a business man who is very active in the field," he chuckled, sounding almost pleased with himself, as if he had some deep secret life.

"I'm not complaining, you do keep me in business."

"Of course, you are one of the better tailors I have come across."

You felt your stomach flip and got a little giddy at the compliment.

It was a rare thing to get one from Crowley and even backhanded ones meant the world to you, it was even better when he wasn't putting you down with a comment directly after the compliment.

So you didn't push your luck and continued to work in silence, hoping that that wouldn't make him break it with an insult anyway.

You worked quickly to get his suit fixed then pulled away, fiddling with the thread at the end of the needle.